Hughesnet Community

latency issues/ slow speeds with new service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
travjantz

latency issues/ slow speeds with new service

I recently signed up for hughesnet service, and it has been very flaky. I have been able to get close to the 10mb down that i signed up for, but some of the time it has been under 1mb down and maybe over 1mb upload. But the worst is the latency- I understand that this is satellite internet, but 3000ms to 22000ms is totally unacceptable. What is the issue? I have eliminated my router and am wired straight from computer to modem. I have logged speed tests using the speed test app on the hughesnet website, if  you can't access them i can screenshot it or something. It does seem like the needle bounces a lot when the speed test is running, is that normal? Kind of seems like it loses signal then regains.. Anyhow please help!! 
15 REPLIES 15
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

If you are using the Connectivity Test at the System Control Center for your latency test, is it showing any packet loss?  22000ms is EXTREMELY high.  3000ms is high, as well.  

Have you tried running a ping test using the command prompt (if you have Windows)?  

Edit: How long have you had the service, and has it been having problems like this pretty much since the beginning?  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Actually, if you are using an HN9000, depending on where you are pinging to, 2000ms wouldn't be out of the realm of possible... When I was last on an HN9000 I was seeing ~1600ms easily to most game servers.
GabeU

Perhaps it's a typo, but it says 22,000ms.  As in twenty two thousand. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If it's 22000ms, then something is wrong, most connections will terminate before latency gets that high.  But 2000-3000ms on HN9000 was normal for me at times.
travjantz

Im at work right now but I will post screenshot on the ping time. I just got this service a 2 weeks ago, then the ice storm went through right after that so I thought maybe that was the deal. The modem is a HN1101 or something like that
travjantz

GabeU: Most of the time I do not show packet loss on the connectivity test, a few times it has showed 10% loss. I am not using a Windows, this is with a Mac Mini.. and yes I have had these problems since the beginning.
travjantz

Here is the Web Response History

travjantz

Here is the Speed Test. I couldn't get it to show the ping time though- any help with that would be appreciated. As you can see when I first got it the speed was awful. Maybe it was the storm, but still showed the 22,024ms ping time last night. And yes, some of the time it is saying that the server timed out when trying to open webpages.
travjantz

Edit: not HN1101, it is an HT1100 Modem
GabeU

Hopefully a Rep will respond soon, but I wonder if the ice storm threw off the alignment of your dish.  I'm not a tech, so I have no idea, but it's just a thought. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"but I wonder if the ice storm threw off the alignment of your dish."

That is why I maintain that all users have at least some familiarity with the modems SCC.(192.168.0.1)

The above gives a quick status check.
Clicking on #1 above yields:

With practice you can almost get a weather report from looking at your signal strength.
travjantz

Yes, I saw that somewhere and have been keeping an eye on that. only one time did the system not check out and that was when there was ice on the dish. Once the ice was gone it read normal again but still no better signal
GabeU

What is your Receive Signal Strength? 
travjantz

Didn't see this till now. It says 108
Amanda

Hi travjantz,

Welcome to our community! Glad to see our great members have gotten started on helping you out. I was able to run diagnostics on your system and do not see anything that could be causing the high latency. A connectivity test done from your modem shows average latency for the system you are on.

What tool or test are you using to get the latency results you are seeing? Are you seeing the latency high all day, or only during peak traffic time?  Let's get an idea of the circumstance around the results for a good starting point. Hope we can get this resolved quicky.

Thanks,
Amanda