cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

most mail is being rejected.

New Poster

most mail is being rejected.

Started out with mail sent to AOL accounts, now it is just about everybody!  Here is the latest message response:

This message was created automatically by the mail system (ecelerity).
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error.  554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means

can somebody please help here???

7 REPLIES 7
New Poster

Re: most mail is being rejected.

somehow, the "community" doesn't seem to work as well as it did the last time I used it.  I posted this problem a few weeks ago, and again yesterday, with no response, especially from Hughes.  Can somebody tell me what I need to do to get help (without calling the help line!)

Honorary Alumnus

The Mods work M-F  8am  to 5pm  

Many Hughes users share the same IP  address. Some places blacklist  by IP  so if some users send spam due to virus/malware issues  all users get blocked.

I suggest you open a Outlook.com, Gmail or Yahoo account and send from there rather than from an IP associated  with Hughes address.

Let's tag @Liz so she can address Monday.

Good morning Kirk,

Thank you for posting and providing the error message you receive when trying to send e-mail (including non-Comcast addresses). I will escalate to our e-mail admins.

Does this happen when you e-mail via webmail?

Or are you using a third-party e-mail client for your HughesNet e-mail?

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

I'm using Windows 7 Live Mail.  No third party client.  Problem now extends to other email addresses, not just AOL.  Becoming very hard to run my business!  Never know if an email is going to go through or be rejected.

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

It seems that Hughes's email servers get on "spam lists" very frequently. There isn't much a user can do other than report the problem and wait it out. It will however happen again.

The only real solution is to not have all of your eggs in one basket.

If you have a Hughesnet email account it is served by both an incoming and outgoing mail server.

You can connect to those servers either by browser interface (webmail) or through a email client program.

The same is true if your were to get a Gmail or Outlook.com email account

The IP address of those email servers would be different than that of the Hughes addresses

Lets take the following:

You get a Outlook.com account and a Gmail account.

You send three emails to a recipient.

One is "sent" to a Outlook server and from there to the recipient's incoming mail server and is successfully delivered.

The second is "sent" to a Gmail server and is then forwarded to the recipients mail server and is successfully delivered.

The third is "sent" to a HughesNet mail server. That server is currently on a block list so all traffic from that servers IP is rejected, the recipient does not receive the email.

Blocked Mail.png

The solution is to NOT use a Hughesnet email server to process your important mail. There simply are too many novice/infected users sharing the same IP address so the likelyhood of future spam blocks is very high.

Get a Gmail/Outlook.com/Yahoo mail account.

New Poster

Thanks for the reply, G, though it doesn't say much about the value of Hughes.  Other clients, like Gmail, have huge numbers of members yet seem to be immune to this problem.  Ah well, enough of the lacrimose whining.  However, since the IP addresses are assigned dynamically, is there a way that I can force a reassignment when I get a rejection letter, hopefully to get to one that doesn't have a bad reputation?

Associate Professor

Yeah, reboot your terminal, you may, or may not get assigned a usable IP.

That aside, the likes of Outlook, and Google don't have this issue because they are some of the largest providers for email services, where as Hughesnet is pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of size and power over others.