cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one answer for data drain!!!

New Poster

one answer for data drain!!!

Well thanks to Glasswire and Gwalk I now have one answer to the dreaded data drain.  I opened Foxnews to read a news article.  Suddenly notice meter was dropping like a rock!!!!  Here is the screen shot of FireFox and Foxnews! 

29 REPLIES 29
Honorary Alumnus

Re: one answer for data drain!!!

Great find Yorktime !
Your post illustrates how to use monitoring software to zero in on problem areas.

There are settings within a browser to limit things like tracking, crash reporting and other things that use data needlessly.

There are also browser extensions that will block ads and scripts from running.

I'm at work on my tablet but I'll try to link to them tomorrow.

I used to go to cnn.com for my morning news fix until they changed their delivery format that auto loaded videos and advertising .
Assistant Professor

Strange, I use Adblock Plus and no problem with ads and videos loading on CNN. Sometimes, quite rarely,  I do have to manually select the sidebar video elements manually I want blocked when they switch things around. No automatic loading after that though.
New Poster

Thanks Gwalk.  Look forward to any tips you can provide. 

BirdDog.  I have AdBlock Plus installed.....but still the data drain happened on the Foxnews page.  I was aware of a news video and shut that off immediately...but still lost 110 MB of data!!!
Alum

Hello yorkytime,

Thanks for posting this. Great example of how a little bit of tracking can give you answers to frequent questions on data usage. I also use Adblock Plus, it is an extension to Chrome which can be added to all major browsers except from my experience Internet Explorer. Here is the link for Chrome if you need it.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

When searching to add this extension in other browsers just make sure the provider group or "Offered by" tag says adblockplus.org. Used them for years and have never had an issue. Sometimes there are things that creep through, mainly because developers are finding more and more ways to counteract ad blocking. The great thing about this particular extension is that you can right click on a element(ad, commerical, etc) and manually block it for future site visits. 

Another quick tidbit. When first installing you should be directed to a welcome page where you can easily enable unwanted tracking from websites through cookies, extra malware protection, and a few others. I'm sure more community members will chime in as well. If you need more help, we are here for you. 

Thank you,
Chris
New Poster

Chris,  I'm pretty much a bulldog when it comes to solving a problem.  LOL  I already have ad block plus installed with all my browsers.  Must investigate reason for data drain....but for sure it was Foxnews page this morning. 
Distinguished Professor IV

Strange, Gwalk, that you don't go to CNN anymore due to the automatic videos, when it was your instructions that enabled me to stop them in Chrome.  LOL. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor IV

Wow, that's a lot of unexpected downloading for one site, and not even from videos!  That's just crazy.  With blocking the auto videos in CNN it barely uses any data now when I go there.  I can't imagine what the 110MB would be.  Nuts.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Yes Gabe it is nuts.  I just saw my meter dropping.....it was only about 5 or 6 minutes.  Just appalling.  I'm trying to find a way to block all their "stuff".  I only want to check news not wipe out my whole day's worth of data.  110 MB it just crazy.

I use both Chrome and Firefox...
If I type the following.....       aboutSmiley Tonguelugins     ........ into my browser all of the plugins I have will come up and from there I can enable/disable them..
I went ahead and disabled a few of them so that when I go on to websites like CNN or Fox News, the video content on those pages do not automatically stream.
I simply right click on any video clip I want to watch and this enables the plugin to do it's things and stream the content...

I just learned how to do this last week, lol.....but I have no doubts that this will cut down on data usage and give me more control of those things I want to watch versus those things that automatically start streaming whether you want it too or not..