cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow internet at night, now on Gen 5

Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: slow internet at night, now on Gen 5

I don't have a recent speed test, but when trying to stream the speed is like a yo-yo.  It suddenly drops and the movie freezes, then comes back again. This only occurs during prime time hours

I'll have to see if I can capture this in a speed test.  I've been down this road before on Gen 4 and was told all problems would be solved by upgrading to Gen 5.  

this is beyond frustrating, and I do have other satellite options that I may need to look into since I'm not under contract any more

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

@dhorwath, if you haven't already, you should create an account at Testmy.net.  You will need to run some tests of download speeds.  Run tests several times a day, and run them about 3 to 5 minutes apart.  Chose the manual download and then the 25 MB test.  Post the link to your results here. Your link will be http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

Highlighted
Sophomore

http://testmy.net/db/bEqCaMwzZ

here's a test at 8:15 pm.  Still under my data limit

it's a prime time issue, just like with Gen 4

Highlighted

Good morning,

Had a meeting yesterday about this, we're still working on bringing relief to this beam and others. We should have an update on this progress next week, after which we will hopefully be issuing dispatches to make adjustments on your site. That's all the information we have so far.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Sophomore

ok, thanks for checking in with that.

Let me know when it's fixed and I can run tests if need be

Sophomore

sorry, out of data once again.  Can't help to troubleshoot to see if it's fixed until the end of the month

Highlighted

Good morning dhorwath,

No worries, we won't need any speed tests for now. We're still pending feedback on whether we can send a tech to address these speed concerns. I anticipate getting an update this afternoon, I'll let you know once we have any news to share.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Hi Liz,

Can you answer, do you know if beam 67 is also a part of what will be fixed? I've not been here to complain about how slow it is in the evenings until now, and as I figured, it's not just me...  I can't even stream a minute of video at 144p..... 

I know... run speed tests... and I have just started that, but I don't need them to know there's a problem, and I know it's not me, because it only happens between oh.. 7pm-11pm eastern...  HOWEVER, some times during the day, I lose internet connection, although all the lights are lit on the modem. It even hapens with a CAT cable... 

Anyway, so much for Gen 5 solving all the problems I also had on the last version.... 

Highlighted

Good morning jlantz,

Thank you for reaching out, yes we can certainly dispatch a tech to your site to try to address your concerns. I'm still pending feedback on whether we can go ahead.

Highlighted
Sophomore

uuuummm... OK, I wasn't expecting a technician...

I was figuring that since  most everyone else here on the forums on GEN5 seem to all pretty much be having very similar problems.. and I'm especially seeing Beam 55 and 68.. and me being on 67, next to 68, I was guessing a lot of things are all too much the same...  

Things are pretty much fine during the days.. it's in the evenings that I feel like I'm on dial-up... Like I said, I'm just today starting to run speed tests every 3 hours...  I'm sure the pattern will be like an upside down bell curve in the evenings.. .

But hey, if Hughes wants to eat the bill to make sure I'm happy.. I'm happy too.. IF they fix the problem...