slow internet at night, now on Gen 5

Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: slow internet at night, now on Gen 5

it's davehorwath

Highlighted

Hi dhorwath,

At your convenience, can you please run more current tests under your davehorwath testmy.net account so we can get those added to your results history here? I just want to make sure we have tests run with the 25 MB test file size under the Hughes Network provider, otherwise engineering will question the tests.

Regarding your PM about the billing concern I can definitely escalate that to make that change for you. I'll let you know when it's done.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Sophomore

notice the speed drop after 7pm

I am over monthly data though

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=04112018&x=90&l=25&q=davehorwath

Highlighted

Thanks, I'll send you a token so you don't have to wait for the data to reset. Also, your bill date change has been processed, it will take effect May 27.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Sophomore

I hope you didn't send a token because the speed tests are really bad lately
https://testmy.net/quickstats/davehorwath
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@dhorwath

If you're still out of your normal data, but using tokens, you'll see the amount of token data you have left where it says Token Bytes Available in the Usage Meter.  If you're out of your plan data and you have token data in that spot, you're presently using the token data.  

And I agree.  If you are, in fact, presently using token data, those speeds are dismal.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Hi dhorwath,

Thanks for the latest speed tests. I ran new diagnostics and they are showing appropriate plan speeds. When running the speed tests, is your TP-Link router also connected to the HughesNet modem? I'd like to get some speed tests run while your computer is the only thing connected to the HughesNet modem, please.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Highlighted
Sophomore

I ran cable from router to computer on the tests.  I can try from computer to modem to see if that helps

tests were all over the place last night.  This matches what I've been seeing.  As soon as late afternoon, primetime, when I try to stream a show it will pause to buffer.  Most of the time, the speed is too low to stream after 7pm

Highlighted

Thanks dhorwath, looking forward to your tests with the router out of the picture.

Highlighted
Sophomore

ran tests last night with router turned off, going straight from modem to computer.  Streaming had issues of constant buffering still.  My router is a good one, it's TPlink AC1750 with better range than the one in the modem so I didn't think it would be an issue.  Speeds seem better during the day, but I'm usually not home then