Did you mean: 

slower than slow...my turn

spydermike
Sophomore

slower than slow...my turn

Test Results here:

https://testmy.net/db/nS~tOqm~Y.HUZGrYp5R

when I first tried to post this I got this error:

• Post flooding detected (community received posts of a unique message more than 1 times within 3,600 seconds)
92 REPLIES 92
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: slower than slow...my turn

The HN reps will be back tomorrow and they will need more tests from you.  Aim for batches of 3 to 5 tests, spaced a few minutes apart, and run one batch in the morning, one mid-day, and one in the evening. 

The posting error you encountered is common -- if it happens again, just leave the post open and come back a couple of minutes later, and it should go through. 

EDIT: you do have more tests; they're here:  https://testmy.net/quickstats/spydermike.

That's the URL the reps need.

You still should have tests over more than just the one day. Also, your upload tests should be 4MB in size.

spydermike
Sophomore

the HughesNet instructions say "For Gen4 customers, the minimum download file size is 25 Mbps, and the minimum upload file size is 2 Mbps."

I will run the tests again as suggested.

maratsade

Not sure where you're seeing that. Check the testing instructions here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

"if testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file"

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@spydermike wrote:

the HughesNet instructions say "For Gen4 customers, the minimum download file size is 25 Mbps, and the minimum upload file size is 2 Mbps."

I will run the tests again as suggested.

Though there's no doubt there are a few web pages out there with differing instructions, they've been streamlined due to Gen4 now being more close to Gen5 in service levels. 

Your 2MB upload tests will still likely be of value to the reps, but please do use the 4MB moving forward.  🙂

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
spydermike
Sophomore

maratsade, it is in the middle of the link you reference...here:

"For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://hninfo.us/speedtest"

This link has the 2Mb minimum statement that I copied.

At any rate, I ran the tests again at 4Mb upload and got the same basic results.  I look forward to a solution.

maratsade

Thanks, Spydermike.  Like @GabeU said, there are so many places where the information exists, and some of them look likt they need updating. Smiley Happy

To have speed issues addressed in this community, though, the reps and engineers require the procedure outlined in the "Think you have slow speeds?" article.  In any case, I hope things get solved for you quickly!

Liz

Good morning spydermike,

Glad to see you found us and are getting help from your fellow community members. I'd like to run diagnostics on the HughesNet equipment to make sure that's working properly, so please private message me your SAN (account number) or associated phone number.

What were you trying to do online that prompted running tests?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

spydermike
Sophomore

Liz,

PM sent.

We are just trying to survive...not much different from most people these days.  We are not attempting to do too much on the internet, but at 400kbs to 500kbs download speeds there is not much that can be done.  We have been customers for some 20 years and I am usually after tech support a few times a year.  Being so rural, this is our main way of contacting the outside world (friends and family).  After a while the service degrades to the level where I need to focus on a solution, and this is, unfortunately,  now.   It wasn't a sudden change that is prompting this request for help.  This is one of a few places we live.  It just happens that we returned here and have a real need for decent service at this time.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Liz

Hi spydermike,

Thanks for the SAN, I ran diagnostics on your site and see that the equipment is working normally, although currently it is raining at your gateway's location which can have an effect on performance.

The biggest factor, however, is you're still on a Gen 4 plan. I could try sending you the latest HT2000w modem to see if that can improve performance, but it would be best to upgrade to Gen 5, which has been around for over 3 years now. 

If you want me to send you a new modem, let me know, otherwise, I think you can upgrade to Gen5 via the Shop/Upgrade link at the top.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.