speeds less than 1mbps since sign up

Freshman

speeds less than 1mbps since sign up

Got hughesnet 11/30/17.

Satellite Name    EchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID    9
Beam ID    39
Outroute ID    6

T'was more or less pushed on me by dishnet as an upgrade. Prior to the switch I was averaging 7mbps.

With new Hughesnet systemn modem tests, system tests all fine but

speeds have consistenly been running below 1mbps.

First call in confirmed that info.
I ran the hughesnet speed test (at my.hughesnet.com.)  The results were:
                       .34 mbps download, .23 mbps upload
which is actually better than the speeds I'm generally getting.
Began using a packet sniffer and the speeds average around 500 to 100 or less kbps.
Yes, that is kbps.
I've tried more than one and the results are consistent.

I have called in 3 times.  There has been a 1/2 hr plus wait all month.
Noone could offer an explanation. The closest guess was a problem with the gateway.
I was promised a callback from a level 4 technician which has never come.  First was told 2 days, then 5 days, then a month or more.

This is a joke.

My hookup to the modem is ethernet.

I would like an explanation and a time for resolution.

24 REPLIES 24
Professor

Re: speeds less than 1mbps since sign up

Phalen,

The Hughesnet employees will likely ask you to perform speed tests.  These are the instructions they give,and that you should follow:

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY
-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

This repeated and redundant demand for rigorous testmy.net results from each complaining customer is becoming a form of customer abuse. Either HughesNet knows precisely the kind of speeds they're delivering to their customers, or their engineers have no performance measuring tools and are not competent to get a communications satellite into space (which obviously is not true).

What we need is fewer endless and evasive repetitions of the testmy.net routine — which is just a form of buck-passing and denial — and more information from HughesNet on what is going on and when it will be fixed.

New Poster

Two things that worked for me.

Update your adapter drivers. Set at 1.0 Gb per sec. From your description you're probably ok here.

Make sure your auto updates are set to metered connections. If in doubt, set to manual update.

Other things can factor, like network traffic. Mine still slows on weekends and evenings, but not as bad as yours.

Jack

Professor

Yes, it's clear the repeated requests for tests annoy you.  They're still part of the troubleshooting protocol; it's neither evasiveness nor abuse, it's how troubleshooting is done.  Hughesnet didn't invent this approach; it's done by pretty much all ISPs, irritating as it may be for users. 

@IntoTheWoods wrote:

This repeated and redundant demand for rigorous testmy.net results from each complaining customer is becoming a form of customer abuse. Either HughesNet knows precisely the kind of speeds they're delivering to their customers, or their engineers have no performance measuring tools and are not competent to get a communications satellite into space (which obviously is not true).

What we need is fewer endless and evasive repetitions of the testmy.net routine — which is just a form of buck-passing and denial — and more information from HughesNet on what is going on and when it will be fixed.

Freshman

Speeds tested via my.hughesnet as above.

Previous results from mytest.net prior to calling them and from today:

My Speed :: 105 kbps

My Speed :: 195 kbps

On 25mb download.

Speeds are intermittent but consistently below 1mbps.  Occassionaly hit in the 900;s but 150 is around average.

Test done by hughesnet rep are consistent with my results and the results of the packet sniffers

Adapter is up to date and was fine on dishnet as was everything I have any control over.

Modem happy and consistently tests a ok.

Distinguished Professor III

@IntoTheWoods wrote:

And your assumption that every speed issue has the same cause is ignorance.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@phalen

Please post your testmy.net results URL, as this is what the reps and engineers who work with this Support Community will need to address your speed issues.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I am curious, Gabe, have you seen many speed issues in the past 3 or 4 months that have been attributed to something other than over capacity?  

If so I would like to know the solutions that fixed those issues so I could try a few of them. 

thank you

Fixes for speed issues caused by things that are not beam related are not going to fix beam issues, and vice versa.  

And, as always, if a person is having a speed issue that is not on a beam that is acknowledged to be having issues, forgoing the requested tests and assuming it's a beam issue is their choice, but when they do so they do so that's on them.  

However, everyone is entitled to do what they want and assume what they want, even if that assumption is incorrect.