cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suddenly cannot download more than 3 emails on Thunderbird; then tells me no more messages

goonybird
Freshman

suddenly cannot download more than 3 emails on Thunderbird; then tells me no more messages

I run Windows 10 (UGH! hate it!!!), hate the imbedded email program, used Thunderbird, had no problems. Went out of town, came back home, now when I attempt to download email, it only downloads 3 or 4 message before it shuts off. I had NO problems before I left, had no problems when I was out of town. I came into town to use REAL wi-fi internet, and Thunderbird is downloading fine, so it is obviously a Hughesnet problem. What is wrong, and how can I fix it?

16 REPLIES 16
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Re: suddenly cannot download more than 3 emails on Thunderbird; then tells me no more messages

@goonybird, not saying you don't have a problem but I just downloaded 13 emails using Thunderbird. Did you use the same device in town as at home to get email?

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Re: suddenly cannot download more than 3 emails on Thunderbird; then tells me no more messages

I too run Thunderbird.

I have TBird set to retrieve emails from 6 different accounts. Some are Hughes accounts, others are Gmail and Outlook.com accounts.

The only odd thing I have noticed is Gmail emails are not picked up the on the first start up. It does get them on the next download cycle.

Have tried to log onto the email server directly to see if mail is on the server at the time but has not been delivered?

goonybird
Freshman

Exact same device. Works perfect on FASTer internet. Came home, still doesn't work. I think it's HughesNet connectivity problems, DNS lookup errors, etc. Fast internet it's not. It's not even moderate. Ours isn't too much better than dial-up.....

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Have you opened the modems SCC at 192.168.0.1 to check FAP and see if any error conditions are present?

goonybird
Freshman

I didn't see any, although I'm not techy; I do think it is a DNS lookup error, or whatever it is called, because we get them all the time. It is VERY frustrating, because I cannot stand the email program imbedded in WIndows 10, and don't really think a different program would help.I also dislike having to use web-based email. I also dislike the crappy SLOW internet satellite service we get.... I

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

goonybird
Freshman

I have messages at the server. I then go to Thunderbird and attempt to download them. For instance, I just attempted again. The bottom of the screen says, downloading 1 of 85. It will go to about 3 messages, I get the online icon going red (offline) the message changes to "no messages to download" although there are still messages on the server. I don't want to download 85 messages 3 at a time. I don't know what's going on, all I do know is that it has to be a Hughesnet thing, because when I go into town and use free wi-fi, it works perfectly.

Gwalk900 wrote:

The only odd thing I have noticed is Gmail emails are not picked up the on the first start up. It does get them on the next download cycle.

Have tried to log onto the email server directly to see if mail is on the server at the time but has not been delivered?

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I would next try disabling Web Acceleration and then forcing TBird to get Gmail.

It may be a "time-out" issue.

Have you verified FAP status?

Have you checked for active SCC error codes/conditions?

Have you ran any speed tests at testmy.net? (12MB manual download)

goonybird
Freshman

@Gwalk900 wrote:

I would next try disabling Web Acceleration and then forcing TBird to get Gmail.

It may be a "time-out" issue.

Have you verified FAP status?

Have you checked for active SCC error codes/conditions?

Have you ran any speed tests at testmy.net? (12MB manual download)

Huh? I'm not a techie LOL!