very poor performance

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peneloukle
Sophomore

very poor performance

I know that I have no data left on my plan, as usual, and therefore my account is throttled. For the last few days the performance has been much worse than usual when I have no plan data. Websites like Costco.com and homedepot.com are not loading. Email attachments are not downloading. Netflix streaming is intermittent. As you can see from my testmy.net results I am getting less than 1 Mbps for downloads. Something must be broken. Can anyone help me get better performance?

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Peneloukle

28 REPLIES 28
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Unfortunately, speeds and performance are not guaranteed. During FAP, speeds can really tank. Try power cycling the modem. To do so, unplug it at the wall outlet, wait at least a minute, then plug it back in. Wait at least five minutes for the modem to be fully up, then try connecting again. You should be on a different channel, and sometimes that helps.  Another thing you can do is disconnect everything from the WiFi except the device you're actually using. 

I did power cycle the modem before the running the tests today. I may not have waited long enough, so I will try that again per your instructions.

I have completely turned off wifi. I am using hardwire ethernet for the tests. 

Is it unusual for the download results to be exactly the same at different times?

maratsade

I would imagine that the similar results are just coincidence. You may want to run some other tests at different times of the day, so the techs can get a better overall picture, but it might all be just being in FAP. Are speeds fine during bonus time, or is there a problem then too?

Peneloukle
Sophomore

I will run some more tests and send them in.

I rarely use the internet during bonus time, so not sure if it's better then.

Would it be useful for the techs for me to run an overnight automatic speed test? I don't think I can specify 25MB download size when running automatic speed test, can I?

GabeU

@Peneloukle wrote:

I don't think I can specify 25MB download size when running automatic speed test, can I?

You can. You can set up automatic testing like the following, though the "Every" and "Repeat up-to" settings are up to you. Select Download, set the 'Min Download Size' to 25MB like shown, and make sure to check the "No Forward" box. It's unlikely that a 25MB test would ever finish in less than seven seconds, which would cause the test 'forward' to a larger size and run again, but because anything's possible it's best to check that box to ensure that won't happen. Oh, and make sure you're signed into your testmy account when setting this up, and make sure to leave the computer on and the page open after you click 'Start Automatic Test' so the tests can run. It doesn't matter if your screen goes to sleep, but make sure the computer itself isn't set to sleep, as the tests won't run if it goes to sleep.

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 10.32.11 PM.png

Keep in mind that, if you have Bonus Zone Data, it's going to use that data during the Bonus Zone time for the testing.

Good morning Peneloukle,

Thanks for posting, glad to see you've already started working with fellow HughesNet community members on this. As maratsade correctly noted, speeds while under the Fair Access Policy will be reduced. I'd like to add that whatever reduced speeds you have is also shared amongst all devices on your network. So if we're delivering 1 Mbps to your modem, that's split between your 8 connected devices right now.

I've noticed that a few connected devices on your 5Ghz network have poor or fair connectivity so that can also be a factor. You can try moving those devices closer to the modem or switching over to the 2.4 GHz network. Otherwise, your HughesNet system diagnostics appear normal, and speeds will improve when your data is restored on 2/2. Hope that clears things up.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hello Liz,

Thank you for the additional information. The recent speed tests were done with Wi-Fi turned off so the number of devices should have been reduced to 3 during the tests. Also, in the 3+ years I have been using Hughes, this is the worst performance I have experienced. I am accustomed to the slow speed after depleting my plan data, but this seems to be much worse. Why is it worse than usual?

Thank you,

peneloukle

Hi peneloukle,

It could be any number of factors that may affect performance: the device, the network, the weather. I can say for sure that there at least aren't any reports for your area that would be a probable cause.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz, are you a Hughes employee? If not, might it be worthwhile for me to contact Hughes tech support directly to see if they can help?

GabeU

@Peneloukle wrote:

Liz, are you a Hughes employee?

Liz is a HughesNet employee. All HughesNet employees in this community have the 'Moderator' badge next to their name. Also, just for reference, the reps you converse with here, like Liz, are corporate based, and they're not only more experienced, they tend to have more info and options available to them compared to phone support.

Thank you @GabeU

@Liz  - are you able to determine if the equipment at my end is fully functional?

Good morning Peneloukle,

What I can see is whether any connected devices have a good signal strength or not. There's a device on your 2.4 GHz network with the MAC address ending in 7b:40 that only has a fair signal. You could try moving that device, if possible, closer to the modem to see if it performs better (if you've noticed any issues with it in the first place). The HughesNet mobile app has a wifi signal gauge tool that lets you see the wifi signal strength as you move about; it can help position wifi devices in more optimal spots.

On the 5 GHz network, there's a laptop (name ending in NO1F) with poor/fair signal. There's another device with poor signal with a MAC address ending in 36:dd. 

Finally there's a device with MAC address ending in ec:7f that had a poor signal about an hour ago, but as of a few minutes ago has good signal. I don't know what the change was to cause that improvement, did you move that one?

For these devices, you can try moving them closer to the modem, or if you'd rather not move them, switch to the 2.4 GHz network as it has a wider range. Please keep in mind that while the 2.4 GHz network has a wider range, it is not as fast as the 5 GHz network which has a shorter range.

-Liz

Liz,

Thank you for the details regarding the connected devices.

Are you able to see whether my satellite dish is working correctly?

Thanks!

You're welcome Peneloukle.

I can certainly check on the HughesNet equipment- all is working normally, as it did last I checked on Monday. Network devices 36:dd and b8:d1 are still doing poorly.

-Liz

Liz -

Is there a way that I can see whether my connected devices have a good signal strength or not? I see my devices in the System Control Center (http://192.168.42.1/index.htm?t=1675402665734)

but I don't see any performance information.

Thanks,

Peneloukle

maratsade

@Peneloukle, Liz has already given you that information in two different posts:

"What I can see is whether any connected devices have a good signal strength or not. There's a device on your 2.4 GHz network with the MAC address ending in 7b:40 that only has a fair signal."

and

"Network devices 36:dd and b8:d1 are still doing poorly."

EDIT: you can also use the HughesNet app to gauge the strength of the wifi signal. Just fire it up and walk around the house, and run the test in each area so you will know which areas have a strong signal and which areas do not. Devices in those areas will have the same kind of signal.

@maratsade I was trying to determine if I could see the signal strength in the System Control Center. I will use the app. I don’t see device 36:dd on my device list even though all of my devices are on. Thank you for your help.

EDIT: I just figured out that 36:did is a printer that wasn’t on when I said I couldn’t see it.

maratsade

@Peneloukle, I think what you want might be here:  https://my.hughesnet.com/en/usage/connecteddevices

2023-02-03_15-26-39.png

Thank you @maratsade. This is exactly what I was looking for. This shows the fair and bad signals, but the HughesNet app on my iPhone indicates that there is a good signal for these devices. Very misleading.