cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement

Freshman

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement

Thanks for the tips on the URL for sharing results and the automatic testing. I expect 5 auto tests to run by 4 PM today.  I guess I need to stop using net for anything else during the 15 minutes a test is running, if I know it is running, and it takes as long as 222 kbps. But the first test reported 20 Mbps.

Good morning Lee,

Thank you for sharing your results, I think these three tests might be fine for now to escalate to engineering. I'll let you know if they need additional data. 

There are many factors that can affect speeds, so there isn't a single fix for every instance of slow speed. Here are just a few resolved slow speed cases; if you click on the "Go to Solution" link, you'll see the post that addresses that customer's slow speed resolution.

That made a huge difference in the speed!

My speeds have vastly improved.

Thank you for your prompt attention in this matter I am now up and running at good speeds

Turn VPN off and your speeds should be normal or better.

My HT2000W modem is back up to speed.

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.

I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

I tried to do hourly auto texts overnight; the first one ran at 506 kbps, the others apparently didn't run or at least  https://testmy.net/quickstats/lee78  showed me only the first one. It shows only the first 4 of the 5 autotests I tried yesterday afternoon. The computer did not go to sleep or lose connection. . I'll try again if you need more tests.

I asked if you knew any successfully resolved threads with my problem. You know I am always hard wired but you suggested 4 solutions where the problem was wifi. A fifth was using VPN, I'm not.. The only one of your suggested solutions which might be for a problem like mine was to switch to a different satellite. Here that would require moving the dish several hundred feet, maybe. Before I scheduled the installation visit I said don't bother to come if you can't run the cable 400 feet to get out of the forest. The persistent installer found a much closer (<50') dish site among thick trees.and that boresight is still clear, I have a very strong signal.. The technician  who checked the installation June 19 said the dish could not be rotated to another satellite (too many big trees.).
@@Liz wrote:

Good morning Lee,

Thank you for sharing your results, I think these three tests might be fine for now to escalate to engineering. I'll let you know if they need additional data. 

There are many factors that can affect speeds, so there isn't a single fix for every instance of slow speed. Here are just a few resolved slow speed cases; if you click on the "Go to Solution" link, you'll see the post that addresses that customer's slow speed resolution.

That made a huge difference in the speed!

My speeds have vastly improved.

Thank you for your prompt attention in this matter I am now up and running at good speeds

Turn VPN off and your speeds should be normal or better.

My HT2000W modem is back up to speed.

So... so far so good.  Thanks Hughes for getting things back on track.

I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Good morning Lee,

Thank you for your patience. Engineering has informed me that your beam is expecting improvements in the next 30 days. If I get any other news to share, I'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Highlighted

Hi Lee,

Thank you for your patience while we worked to address your concerns. Engineering is reporting back that work has been completed on your beam so you should be seeing improvements. If you still have speed concerns, please run new speed tests on testmy.net while directly connected to the HughesNet modem so we can evaluate your current speeds.

Thanks,
Liz

Freshman

I guess you can see the problem is not solved. After seeing your hope that work on the beam is completed I did 3 tests which averaged 2.3 Mbps. Then there were 7  good tests averaging 17.9 Mbps. (None sustained 25 Mbps for 25 MB.) When I realized a youtube download was slower than playing it I tested again and got 4 bad tests averaging 464 Kbps. The advertised 25Mbps is  50 times faster.

Professor

"The advertised 25Mbps is  50 times faster."

The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

Source: https://www.hughesnet.com/about/hughesnet-gen5

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Good morning Lee,

Thank you for running new tests I'll send this over to engineering for their input, I'll post back once I have news to share.

Thanks,
Liz

Good morning Lee,

Thanks for your patience while I sought updates from engineering. Yesterday morning we performed capacity improvements on your beam, please confirm any improvements you see. If you don't see any improvement, please specify which activities you're attempting to do if you're experiencing poor performance.

Thanks,
Liz

Freshman

Liz (Moderator) posted a new reply in Tech Support on 07-18-2018 09:38 AM :

> Yesterday morning we performed capacity improvements on your beam, please confirm any improvements you see.

I can't confirm improvements in the climate if I see a temporary improvement in the weather. If I no longer saw spells of download speed less than 1 Mbps I would see that as an improvement in Hughesnet weather. If it lasted.a month I would notice but I don't want you to wait hopefully for my confirmation. I am not interested in writing here, I want a fix, the 10-25 Mbps I expected. So far I can not get that for one 5x testmy.net cycle.  There are still  (after July 17 capacity improvements) periods when a 25 MB download cannot be sustained at a speed higher than 286 Kbps at midnight.

> If you don't see any improvement, please specify which activities you're attempting to do if you're experiencing poor performance.

Tier 4 support led to a visit to my remote location by a technician who I think was competent and no more intrusive than necessary.  (Speeds were fine for an hour while he was here but fell below 1 Mbps a few hours after he left.)  I would have preferred to be told "there is nothing more we can do" instead of being told to share my experience here publicly in case the community can help.  Now you want to know my activities. Is tier 6 a remote console so you can watch and share my browsing?

Simple browsing and email do not reveal slow speeds to me.  If I am downloading a file bigger than 10 MB, very slow speed can be visible if I look at the download speed in the firefox download panel.  If I download a 150 MB file I am sure to notice by how long the file remains in the download panel, and if I look there the slow speed is displayed.  Why do I have to report activities? You know that all the speeds I have reported are experienced during a single activity, testmy.net . 

For those who haven't read this thread, I have only one computer using the modem, by cable, wifi is turned off.  I ask again, is there any example of a  similar thread in this community that was successfully resolved? Please don't send me to threads resolved by fixing wifi problems like you did last time I asked, or VBNs, or other situations you know are unlike mine. Please don't keep suggesting I can get the service I pay for if I remain involved in the community and share my hopes and disappointments here. You can see my testmy.net results, you know the service is not fixed. If I don't continue providing this free testing and sharing is there any chance normal service will
start? Or would this thread just migrate to the bottom of the stack for lack of activity, and there is no tier 6..