cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement

Moderator
Moderator

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement

Hi Lee,

 

I've sent your feedback to our engineers for their evaluation. I'll post back once we have news to share.

 

  Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement


@Lee Bonnifield wrote:


Simple browsing and email do not reveal slow speeds to me.  If I am downloading a file bigger than 10 MB, very slow speed can be visible if I look at the download speed in the firefox download panel.  If I download a 150 MB file I am sure to notice by how long the file remains in the download panel, and if I look there the slow speed is displayed.  Why do I have to report activities? You know that all the speeds I have reported are experienced during a single activity, testmy.net .  


The activity is important to know because the reliability of speeds seen during a file download, when in the context of determining service speed, are a completely different thing than speeds seen during a speed tests.  Testmy.net speed tests demonstrate service speeds.  File downloads do not, as there is no way to verify the integrity, nor speed, of the source server.  There's nothing wrong with seeing how well a file download is doing, which is why all browsers give that ability, but it can't be used as a reliable example of service speeds.  This is why the reps ask for the activity being performed when the issue is seen.  

 

When a rep asks for specific information it is for a good reason.  


AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement


@GabeU wrote:

@Lee Bonnifield wrote:


Simple browsing and email do not reveal slow speeds to me.  If I am downloading a file bigger than 10 MB, very slow speed can be visible if I look at the download speed in the firefox download panel.  If I download a 150 MB file I am sure to notice by how long the file remains in the download panel, and if I look there the slow speed is displayed.  Why do I have to report activities? You know that all the speeds I have reported are experienced during a single activity, testmy.net .  


The activity is important to know because the reliability of speeds seen during a file download, when in the context of determining service speed, are a completely different thing than speeds seen during a speed tests.  Testmy.net speed tests demonstrate service speeds.  File downloads do not, as there is no way to verify the integrity, nor speed, of the source server.  There's nothing wrong with seeing how well a file download is doing, which is why all browsers give that ability, but it can't be used as a reliable example of service speeds.  This is why the reps ask for the activity being performed when the issue is seen.  

 

When a rep asks for specific information it is for a good reason.  

 

 

That may be true, however, it doesn't matter to the end user at all. The experience when downloading a file can still be compared to a) other times of day b) other internet providers c) the previous Gen 4 by Hughes.

 

I can download the very same file from the very same source, etc., and 95% of the time it's going to be slower than actually watching the video or whatever. The other 5% of the time it actually works like it should and like the previous Gen 4 did far more often than Gen 5 does.

 

Basically, Gen 5, for far too many, is a very bad thing and not performing up to par let alone equal to others or the previous Hughesnet. This is totally unacceptable and irresponsible and at this point in time Hughes should either voluntarily admit it's failure and waive all early termination fees and costs allowing a customer to cancel the service without further damage. It's enough to suffer through the use of this let alone the time spent trying to solve these problems via typing and waiting and typing and waiting and testing and typing and waiting, etc. It's clear nothing is going to be done to deliver what Hughes promised. Why some have good results and many do not I don't know and I don't care because the system should be fixed ASAP to deliver to everyone. Individual differences such as computer and browser aside, most people know what they experience and how to compare that experience.

 

Being forced to tolerate a bad situation or pay big bucks to a provider to cancel an inferior service is nonsense. Sheer nonsense. Maybe it's time  a "lemon" law for internet providers like for purchasing a bad vehicle was invoked.

 

 


 

Assistant Professor

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement


@deserthaven wrote:

That may be true, however, it doesn't matter to the end user at all. The experience when downloading a file can still be compared to a) other times of day b) other internet providers c) the previous Gen 4 by Hughes.


Right, but it still has no context. You're not stating where you're downloading from, so there's no indication if the speed is being impacted by:
 - Your connection to the Hughes satellite,

 - The downlink to the groundstation,

 - The upstream provider (which I've found is usually at fault in my case),

 - Anyone hop along that path to the originating server, and finally

 - The originating server itself.

Not all downloads are going to be over the same path, and not all internet providers are going to even start with the same upstream provider (Incidentally, guess which parts of all this Hughes has 100% control over).

 

By using a single test server and download size on TestMy, you're eliminating all of those variables. Then, and only then can you start to compare by time of day.

 

Don't even get me started the misconception of comparing Gen5 to Gen4, because they're two completely different architectures/technologies and work differently under different conditions.


@deserthaven wrote:

It's clear nothing is going to be done to deliver what Hughes promised.

I'm pretty sure they are delivering what they promised, just not what you expected nor consider acceptable. I am absolutely certain they are providing you service with a data allowance and up to 25Mbps speed, which is what they promised. That's a maximum speed. which they often do exceed at times when there's minimal congestion. No one in their right mind is going to guarantee a minimum speed, anywhere, anytime. It's technically impossible and depends heavily on unknown congestion levels, as well as the user's configuration and own usage load (in addition to those also using that particular groundstation which also affects your speed).

 

If that's a problem and you feel the situation is untenable, perhaps you should consider the option to cancel, which in the long run is always cheaper than fulfilling your contractual obligation.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Junior

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement


@MarkJFine wrote:

@deserthaven wrote:

That may be true, however, it doesn't matter to the end user at all. The experience when downloading a file can still be compared to a) other times of day b) other internet providers c) the previous Gen 4 by Hughes.


Right, but it still has no context. You're not stating where you're downloading from, so there's no indication if the speed is being impacted by:
 - Your connection to the Hughes satellite,

 - The downlink to the groundstation,

 - The upstream provider (which I've found is usually at fault in my case),

 - Anyone hop along that path to the originating server, and finally

 - The originating server itself.

Not all downloads are going to be over the same path, and not all internet providers are going to even start with the same upstream provider (Incidentally, guess which parts of all this Hughes has 100% control over).

 

By using a single test server and download size on TestMy, you're eliminating all of those variables. Then, and only then can you start to compare by time of day.

 

Don't even get me started the misconception of comparing Gen5 to Gen4, because they're two completely different architectures/technologies and work differently under different conditions.


@deserthaven wrote:

It's clear nothing is going to be done to deliver what Hughes promised.

I'm pretty sure they are delivering what they promised, just not what you expected nor consider acceptable. I am absolutely certain they are providing you service with a data allowance and up to 25Mbps speed, which is what they promised. That's a maximum speed. which they often do exceed at times when there's minimal congestion. No one in their right mind is going to guarantee a minimum speed, anywhere, anytime. It's technically impossible and depends heavily on unknown congestion levels, as well as the user's configuration and own usage load (in addition to those also using that particular groundstation which also affects your speed).

 

If that's a problem and you feel the situation is untenable, perhaps you should consider the option to cancel, which in the long run is always cheaper than fulfilling your contractual obligation.


 

 

That is irrelevant to an end user. And no, Hughes is not delivering what was stated. Of course they say "up to" certain speeds and you're wrong about no one guaranteeing a minimum because when I had Hughes through Dish that's exactly what they did was guarantee a minimum speed. Regardless of whether the two systems are entirely different or not, a new system SHOULD be improved and provide at least the same quality of service but preferable a better one. The fact that ads, techs and installers continually stated that not only was this Gen 5 faster but that even at throttled speeds it would bne faster than the Gen 4 and that you'd be able to stream videos is very misleading and actually outright deceitful. If that is not endorsed by Hughes then so be it but every sales person, installer, tech and the like should be instructed to state only the facts which is that Gen 5 may work good for you but it may not and you have no option once you agree to installation to back out if it doesn't. When you can repeatedly download a file and 1-5 times out of 100 get the speed you had with a previous installation that's just not acceptable. At minimum Hughes should be able to explain what exactly the problem is and either correct it or fess up and say they oversold or misrepresented the service. It would be nice to know just exactly how many users across the country actually have the service they "expected" as you say. FYI, our "expectations" didn't just fly out of the top of our head and wild imaginations, they were put there by Hughes ads, techs and installers. As the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Professor

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement

If you don’t want to do the necessary troubleshooting requested by the HughesNet mods, then you should cancel and move on. The troubleshooting is required in order to help you, whether you like it or not, and it’s pretty standard for other ISPs.
Assistant Professor

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement


@deserthaven wrote:

That is irrelevant to an end user.


I'm a user and get pretty good speeds on a regular basis: 48Mbps at it's best, 10Mbps at it's worst - yes, it is vastly faster than Gen4 for me. I also understand the limitations and learned how to work within the boundaries of satellite internet because it's still my best option.

 

Clearly it's irrelevant to you and your particular situation, and perhaps some others that regularly love to gripe on here and then run away (read: troll, which I'm beginning to think what your post likely was). But I assure you that your experience is far from that for every end user across the country.

 

Again, you have the option to lift a finger to help yourself and work with those that will help you. You also have the option to discontinue if your're not satisfied. These are all the options you have to solve the problem.

 

However, judging by your argument you don't want to solve it. You just want to complain about it using unsubstantiated alt-facts. That's not what this forum was designed for, so as far as I'm concerned this conversation is over.

 

Let us know when you want someone to actually help you.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement

@deserthaven

 

In the context of this discussion, what you believe is relevant or irrelevant to the end user doesn't matter.  Whether you understand the reasons for questions that are asked or agree with their validity, again, doesn't matter.  

 

Troubleshooting is done.  Questions are asked.  

 

Your complaints aren't helping Lee in any way.  Please stop trolling.  


AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement


@MarkJFine wrote:

@deserthaven wrote:

That is irrelevant to an end user.


I'm a user and get pretty good speeds on a regular basis: 48Mbps at it's best, 10Mbps at it's worst - yes, it is vastly faster than Gen4 for me. I also understand the limitations and learned how to work within the boundaries of satellite internet because it's still my best option.

 

Clearly it's irrelevant to you and your particular situation, and perhaps some others that regularly love to gripe on here and then run away (read: troll, which I'm beginning to think what your post likely was). But I assure you that your experience is far from that for every end user across the country.

 

Again, you have the option to lift a finger to help yourself and work with those that will help you. You also have the option to discontinue if your're not satisfied. These are all the options you have to solve the problem.

 

However, judging by your argument you don't want to solve it. You just want to complain about it using unsubstantiated alt-facts. That's not what this forum was designed for, so as far as I'm concerned this conversation is over.

 

Let us know when you want someone to actually help you.

-----------------------------

Well you're incorrect in your assumptions. If I could get 10 Mbps 20% of the time, anytime, doing anything, I'd be happy. The point is it doesn't matter if I'm even trying to upload a 300 kb picture, it's incredibly slow and nothing like the Gen 4, FOR ME AND THIS LOCATION. Why some have very good service, some have mediocre and some can't even use it is beyond my interest. It should be of interest to Hughes.

 

Beyond that, if you search you will see that I spent quite some time and lots of posts working with Gabe and Liz on this issue in the past. I did lots and lots of speed tests and reporting and all of the things I was asked to do. I even had the installer come out again, at his cost, to check the entire system. Nothing has changed, nothing has improved, and no solution was provided.

 

I can assure you I am not troll and I do not just post and gripe on all of these sites and then disappear. I have seen those types all across the net so I know of what you speak. To assume that of me was a little premature.

 

There appear to be no solutions from Hughes for my particular situation and those of numerous others. How common is this across the country? I can't say because obviously people that are getting excellent results are not likely to come onto this board and post. It is both time consuming and uses data.

 

I, too, understand the limitations of satellite as that's all I've ever had for two decades now due to living in very rural areas. This isn't about that. It's about being far below those limitations and not being able to get not only what was advertised and promoted but what is regressive compared to the previous system.

 

I also am not using unsubstantiated alt facts, whatever you intend to imply with that statement. Everything I've gone through has been substantiated here and the fact that this system does not perform up to expectation (based solely on Hughes criteria and past experience with Gen 4) is fact enough. This is not some subjective experience but rather backed up with speed tests and what was asked of me by the moderators.

 

Perhaps you should, in the future, do a little more research on the threads or ask more questions before making assumptions and accusatory comments to posters. I do understand there are many that love to complain about any and everything. I see it all the time on Amazon and other places. I an assure you that I am not one of them but do expect companies to provide what they promise and to stand behind their products and services .


 

Highlighted
Junior

Re: very slow Gen 5 even after tier 4 inspection visit, modem replacement


@GabeU wrote:

@deserthaven

 

In the context of this discussion, what you believe is relevant or irrelevant to the end user doesn't matter.  Whether you understand the reasons for questions that are asked or agree with their validity, again, doesn't matter.  

 

Troubleshooting is done.  Questions are asked.  

 

Your complaints aren't helping Lee in any way.  Please stop trolling.  


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, you guys are extraordinarily arrogant.  I never said I didn't understand the reasons for questions nor did I question things I was asked to do from Liz when trying to troubleshoot my service. The fact of the matter is that nothing was solved and the service is still far worse than the previous service and having to pay to not use something (cancel) is absurd.

 

The assumptions made by Mark were inaccurate and uncalled for and unacceptable to be posted especially from someone labelled "instructor".

 

And why not let Lee decide if anything I"ve said is helpful to him or not? It's not your place to decide that.

 

The longer I see posts from those that are supposedly here to help the more I realize exactly what's going on. I thanked you and Liz and others for the input when I was troubleshooting my service a few months ago, although nothing was solved. I just gave up trying because, frankly, my time is just more valuable thank sitting at the computer posting back and forth and waiting.

 

The accusation from Mark that I am a troll since I post and then "disappear" was uncalled for and inaccurate and extraordinarily rude. I "disappear" because I have a very busy life outside of this forum.

 

Businesses can only be improved when they listen to customers, really listen. People, by the same token, can only learn when they listen. Far too many on here do not listen.