very slow then fast slow then fast

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barrelgirl
Freshman

very slow then fast slow then fast

Speeds seem to vary drastically since switching to gen 5. Like from 1kb-to40mb  Need to use LOGMEIN for work remotely and having NO luck.  Logmein keeps disconnecting me.  echostar 19 NAD, beam 5

20 REPLIES 20
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@barrelgirl

To address your seed issues, a few tests will need to be run.  Because the site that is normally used for speed testing is having some issues lately, both HughesNet's own speed test, and Speedtest.com, have become the go to tests.  The HughesNet speed test is under the Support heading on the top of this page.  Just hover your pointer over "Support" and you'll see the option for the speed test.  If you right click on it you can choose to open the testing page in a new tab or window.  The following is a copy/paste from another thread.  

So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please run 3 speed tests via the HughesNet speed test or speedtest.net. Post your test results here in your thread if you use a 3rd party speed test site (fast.com and testmy.net's tests are not recommended).

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)

-have the wifi disabled in the HT2000w HughesNet modem (section 6 of this PDF explains how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W)
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

If you don't have a device which you can connect via LAN cable and can only perform the tests via WiFi, please be sure to be near the HT2000W modem while testing and ensure that all other WiFi devices are off or unplugged so that absolutely nothing else can sap any bandwidth while performing the tests.  

screenshot.jpg

screen shot 3.jpgscreen shot 2.jpgscreen shot 1.jpgscreenshot 6.jpgscreenshot 5.jpgscreenshot 4.jpgthese were all pretty good except for upload on speedtest.net..  i will do some more throughout the day.  Yesterday i had some with very slow download speeds but hadnt figured out how the screenshot deal worked.  I also screenshot that state pie chart page like i saw some one else with a problem do in hopes that it might help.  I

It is like everythin is working great and then not.  Is it possible that i am intermittently losing connection altogether and that is why i get booted off of LOGMEIN while working remote?

GabeU

@barrelgirl

It's possible that you are intermittently losing the connection and that's causing the issue.  A couple of those state codes are ones that I am not familiar with.  

Because of those codes, I am going to tag the reps so that they can get involved and help you.  The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it may take them a day or two to reply.  

In the meantime, please make sure to leave your modem plugged in, as the reps may need to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment and they will need the modem powered in order to be able to do so.  

Also, please make sure that the coax cable connector at the back of the modem is at least finger tight.  It doesn't need to be tighter than this, but it shouldn't be loose.  

@Liz

@Amanda

A couple of other things.  Though your upload speed is showing as pretty low on Speedtest.net, chances are it's more like what's shown in the HughesNet speed test.  Speedtest.net does the same thing for me with the upload test, showing a sub 1Mbps speed, while I know for sure that my upload speeds are actually in the 2Mbps to 3Mbps range.  Why Speedtest gives erroneous upload speeds, I don't really know.  The download speeds it shows are usually pretty accurate, though.  

One last thing, and this is concerning data usage.  I noticed on your Speedtest.net speed tests that ads are showing.  Ads on web pages can use quite a bit of data.  One thing that would help is an ad blocker.  A lot of us on HughesNet, and on other services with a soft or hard data cap, use ad blockers.  You can use whatever you like, but Adblock Plus seems to be the most popular.  It's also free.  This is only a recommendation, but you might want to consider it, as if you do a lot of browsing those ads can waste a lot of data.  Plus, ads are just plain annoying.  And, if you do end up installing it, make sure to uncheck "Allow some non intrusive advertising" in the options, as leaving that checked seems to still allow a lot of ads.  Adblock Plus has their own website, which I'll post below, or you can get it through the Chrome Store.  Some sites will ask you to turn your ad blocker off to be able to use them, but it's still worth it for the ones that don't.  And no, just in case you were wondering, I'm not connected to Adblock Plus in any way, I just use it, as a lot of us do.   

https://adblockplus.org/

Edit:  I forgot to mention that your speeds look great, aside of the aforementioned Speedtest upload results, which I wouldn't trust.  Your HughesNet speed test upload results are very good. 

ok, thanks for the tips.  I had tech support go into my computer yesterday and change a few things.  Here is the screenshot of the changes he made..and a state code screenshot from this morning.  I am still having connection issues.downtime 1.jpg

GabeU

@barrelgirl

On the first picture in your recent reply your SAN is showing.  It would be best to edit your SAN out of the picture (click on the three dots on the upper right of the post to edit a post).  Your SAN is your account number, and you should never post that in public.  You could crop the top of the picture off, too.  Either way is fine, but it's best to do so.  I know this is a pain, but it's best to be safe, especially when it's a public site.    

Edit:  Liz posted while I was typing this reply 🙂 , so I edited it a little.   The info regarding your SAN is still the same, though.  

@GabeU  thanks.  just deleted that pic, as i went in and re-enabled web accel.  Currently as of this a.m. have no state codes and my "pie chart is all green"  all the speed tests i have been doing seem good.  Will start trying LOGMEIN later today or tomorrow to see if it works.  I know it is something, or has been something, on this end as it works anywhere else I go to use it.  Still have a feeling my connection is being ocassionaly, briefly dropped and that is why it boots me off.  I will try it some more and let you guys know.  

Thanks again to @Liz and yourself for looking into things and getting back to me.  I will let you know!  

couple speed tests and a web response test.  Is that like ping?screenshot 7.jpgscreenshot 8.jpgscreenshot 9.jpgscreenshot 10.jpg

GabeU

@barrelgirl wrote:

couple speed tests and a web response test.  Is that like ping?

I'm not really sure if the latency/ping is included in or excluded from the Web Response Test results, but what it basically does is measure how long it takes to load a web page of a specific size.  I don't know what that size is, but it doesn't appear to be very large.  

Hi @GabeU@Liz

Still booting me off LOGMEIN.  Sometimes every few minutes, sometimes in quick repetition, sometimes not for a half hour.  Pretty sure I am losing my Hughes connection briefly.?.

Here is a State code sheet from today.  I have been out of town for a couple of days.

Also here is a bad connectivity test.  As soon as I screenshot it I ran another which was fine.

screenshot 11.jpgscreenshot 12.jpg

GabeU

@barrelgirl

The only connection loss it's showing in the State Codes is the 23.1.1, but that was a single instance and only for eight seconds, and it appears to have been an short issue on HughesNet's end.  The 14.1.1 is "No Devices Connected", and it will show that when your modem is on, but your computer is either disconnected or off.  I imagine with you being out of town your computer was in one of those two states, so that 14.1.1, in that case, is expected.     

Have you tried a browser other than Chrome?  As noted by Liz, the engineers have noticed an issue with LOGMEIN and Chrome.  If you're averse to downloading and trying something like Firefox, you could try Microsoft Edge.  Being that you have Windows 10 you almost assuredly already have it.      

Browser doesnt seem to change anything.  After @Liz mentioned that I tried Edge and actually then downloaded the LOGMEIN app.  So currently I have been just using the app, not through the browser at all, no change.

when my dowload speeds are low like this the download meter looks like a windshield wiper.

screenshot 13.jpg

Hi barrelgirl,

Thank you for the additional information. We have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM . Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #109403690 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you @Liz.  I will let you know how it goes. And thanks again @GabeU.

GabeU

@barrelgirl wrote:

Thank you @Liz.  I will let you know how it goes. And thanks again @GabeU.

You're very welcome.  I hope the site visit goes well.  🙂  

Hey I have been out of town.  The tech couldnt really find anything wrong.  He said that this satellite was down in November and might not be working quite right yet.?.  He thought it was a latency issue.  So, no resolve here.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think you have something else going on based on the pics above that show good response time (latency) to the gateway but 20% packet loss.

Hopefully @Liz will get back to you on where to go from here.

Did the tech check all the connections inside and outside?

Hi barrelgirl,

Thank you for this update. I ran diagnostics and it appears that the tech did not do as fully instructed. I've created a new complimentary dispatch to get the needed fine tuning on your site done. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Friday, Feb 23, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM . Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #109727056 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Good morning barrelgirl,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! The speed tests and state codes help, thank you. As Gabe noted, the results you're showing look good. After reviewing your case notes, it looks like you were getting about the same speed when you called in as well.

I do see that your Web Acceleration (WAS) is still disabled, it should only be disabled temporarily for troubleshooting or certain circumstances, and isn't intended to be left off.

To re-enable Web Acceleration, go to the System Control Center (SCC): http://192.168.0.1/

Click on the gray "i" icon at the top, to the right of "System Information" to go to Advanced Configuration and Statistics.

Click on "Web Acceleration" in the left side menu bar.

Click on "Control" under Web Acceleration sub-menu.

Un-check the "Disable Web Acceleration" box in the main screen.

LogMeIn should work, but our engineers have noticed that in general (it's not limited to HughesNet) it can encounter issues with Chrome. For troubleshooting purposes, try using LogMeIn on a different browser and let us know if you notice any difference in performance.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.