Hughesnet Community

video won't play with wi-fi. anybody having video problems on facebook?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fivespot

video won't play with wi-fi. anybody having video problems on facebook?

2 REPLIES 2
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

• Some sites are not working for some people. Among them: iCloud.com, Google Drive, Dropbox, YouTube, and others.
  • HN is aware of this issue
  • The HN engineers are working to resolve it
  • The issue may be external to HN
  • A deadly pandemic is affecting our country and the world. As a result of this, millions of people are working and learning from home, and straining ISP systems to capacity.
  • The issue is most noticeable to users of satellite internet, but it is affecting users of other ISPs as well
  • While terrestrial-based ISPs (such as cable) can add more capacity, satellite ISPs have finite capacity and can't add more without launching new satellites, a process that is very expensive and takes many months
  • Streaming is not working well for many people. The best thing to do about streaming right now is to avoid it.
  • These times call for all of us to show patience and strength in the face of chaos, and to shift our priorities.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Liz

Hi fivespot,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! To piggyback on what maratsade said:

We understand this is a difficult period for many of our customers affected by recent events. HughesNet has implemented numerous prioritization enhancements focused on education applications/websites and, for those working at home, many popular business and communication apps.

While it may not be immediately apparent, HughesNet, like all Internet Service Providers, is experiencing increased network traffic, which is likely to be a contributing factor to your issues with streaming. Currently, our engineers are working around the clock to keep our network stable and traffic flowing as smoothly as possible for all our customers.

This type of problem typically does not require a visit from a technician or any configuration changes of the HughesNet equipment to see an improvement. However, there are some steps you can take to adjust the settings of your streaming application or device which may help improve your streaming experience. Check out the bottom of this message for a set of links for the more popular apps/devices and their respective support pages.

If you still do not see any improvement after adjusting your streaming app/device settings, please check the following HughesNet support articles.

How do I get the most out of my HughesNet service?

Slow/No Connectivity

What is Service Plan Data? (and how is it used?)

hug2 vs hug5 Wi-Fi networks

Support pages for various popular streaming devices:

Roku

AppleTV

Amazon Fire Stick

Streaming App Settings:

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, etc. may contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that start playing, therefore that entire video may have already downloaded to your device. Make sure you’re using the latest version of the streaming app. Not all sites have a feature to turn off auto-play.

Netflix (Adjust playback quality to Standard Definition)

Facebook (Change the Autoplay option to OFF)

Android

iPhone

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!