Data limits

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TDR

Data limits

I don't understand!

When I first signed up with HughesNet I was paying $50 per month ... but ran out of data monthly.

So I switched plans and began paying $70 per month .. but continued to run out of data and began purchasing "data tokens" ... still wasn't enough

So I switched plans again and now pay $99.99 per month ... BUT STILL RUN OUT OF DATA!

I don't get how this is possible. There are only two people in my house!

I may have to switch again! 

This time to a new supplier with no data limits.

3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If you run our of data, you will need to see where you're using the data, and budget the available data so it will last all month.  If you get the 50GB plan, you can use an average of 1.6 GB per day. If you use more, you will run out of data.  Streaming eats up a lot of data very quickly, so if you're streaming, you will need to keep an eagle eye on your data so you don't run out before the month is over.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@TDR 

There are programs/apps for various operating systems that can show you exactly what is using data on the device.  Glasswire is often recommend for Windows based computers.  The free version is good enough, and it works very well.  It will tell you not only how much data the computer it's installed on is using, but just what on that computer is using it, and how much each program, app and/or process is using during the specified time period. 

Glasswire is also available for Android devices, though I've never tried it on mine, personally.

It's a good idea to install an ad blocker in your browser.  I use Adblock Plus, which works with the Chrome variants (Edge, Blaze, etc) and Safari.  Make sure to go into its options and de-select "Allow acceptable ads" or you'll still see them, wasting data.   

If you stream, that can use a lot of data.  Using Netflix as a common reference, it uses around 3GB per hour in HD, 700MB per hour in SD and 300MB per hour in LD.  

If you use streaming devices, such as an Amazon Fire Stick, make sure that all "auto" things that might use data are disabled. 

If you have a DirecTV receiver and it's connected to HughesNet, sever that connection, as that could very well be what's chewing through your data.  DirecTV receivers will use internet data instead of their own to update many things on the receiver, and it can use a ton of it to do so.  Because of this, connecting a DirecTV receiver to HughesNet is recommended against.

It's also best to avoid using cloud storage, especially when it's set to automatically save.  

If you use Windows 10, it's best to avoid using Update Optimization, unless it's only on your own network, which can then be a benefit.  If you don't share updates with other Windows 10 devices on your network, it's best to have this off completely.  

Lastly, the following two topics contain some helpful information.  Some of it's already been touched on here, but there is a lot of good information...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

Remy

TDR,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Remy