AT&T says Desktop app For DirecTV-DVR is Coming Soon

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kitnbob
Tutor

AT&T says Desktop app For DirecTV-DVR is Coming Soon

Before ATT aquired DirecTV, my television provider had a desktop app called Genie Go. (whole house DVR.type of thing)

was pretty buggy and ATT dropped it and removed all the help support.

The new DirecTV mobile app for smart phones and tablets works good for playing the Recordings>Playlist from my DirecTV receiver.

I recently bought a new ATT phone and a prepaid plan. Only 2 gb service.

I dont need more cell data cause I can do most every thing on Wi-fi by connection of my newly aquired HT2000w HughesNet modem.

I installed the app on my cell phone. Works good.

The tree branched finally grew in front of my DirecTV dish. August was time for an upgrade to HD DVR. They needed to free install a new dish for me. They brought a much newer DVR receiver a Genie   HR54/200   There was a new software revision came out last month   Oxd8f   01/18/18   

Considering the TV receiver is using the same wi-fi network as the smartphones and tabletson my HT2000w modem.

My desktop is ethernet cable......................... The DELL can see the HT and it can see the HR54. did i lose anyone on that one??  Smiley Happy  

Here's a picture.

DELL    HR54  HughesNet VoiceDELL HR54 HughesNet Voice

But What in the bleep are these 3 media servers?

If my desktop can see the HR54 receiver I should be able to interact with it. But NOooooo...... I have to be a hand held device. Smiley Sad

I dont want to stream Live TV thru media player or my phone, I would rather let DirecTV record it , then I can watch it anytime thru the wi-fi local network using NO HughesNet data        Token - Free (500MB)                                                                           Token - Free (500MB)

This is getting lengthy, I'll add more later

32 REPLIES 32
MarkJFine
Professor

All DTV boxes have a media renderers in them. I have one in each of my HR24s. However, they're really for playing things off a media server on your PC to your TV, not the other way around. I use a Plex app on my TV for that because it's a lot more reliable.

The HR24s also have media servers for playing shows using the DirecTV app as long as you're on the same home network. It is supposed to work outside your home network if you had a static public IP address, but you likely won't have that unless you have a HughesNet business account.

There used to be a desktop application called Supercast that was in beta a long time ago, but it never materialized because there were too many reliability problems. Plus I think there were issues with the copyright protections. I never got it to work anyway.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for your imput on this topic @MarkJFine

After finding the (originally two) Media devices on my wi-fi network, I right clicked on them for my options, which was to open Media Player. Another was to turn on Music and pictures Media sharing. OK.        I had quit using that resource hog probably five years ago. I had not set it up in this current box. I cringed and went thru the ritual.

There was the third media device. I had shared my Users\ folder.

As expected Media Player had completely re-arranged my folders of music, videos and pictures. 

Wasn't too long that I had the TV playing music from the DELL and also playing a slide show of picures from (aup gag) Media Player in leu of a screen saver.

Pretty cool... so I sat there listening , seeing slide show, so I picked up my smart phone and watched Fox News at five.

@MarkJFine wrote:

... also have media servers for playing shows using the DirecTV app as long as you're on the same home network. It is supposed to work outside your home network if you had...

Tomorrow I will drive up the road   (to cell coverage)  start my DirecTV app and see If I can watch "Days of our Lives" I will Have to use my ATT Data to test your theory.

@MarkJFine wrote:

..... application called Supercast that was in beta a long time ago, but it never materialized because there were too many reliability problems. Plus I think there were issues with the copyright protections. I never got it to work anyway.

I never got "GenieGo" to work either

Guarantee it won't see the box, because it won't be able to tunnel to it from outside the home LAN. Been there. Done that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Ill bet ya two bucks.....    thats not too much to lose Smiley Happy

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@kitnbob

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, as I don't have anything networked, nor would I even know how to do so, but why would you want to watch something on your phone or desktop that you have recorded on your Genie's DVR?

My wife lives on steady diet of Bravo, HGTV and Hallmark Channel. Imagine bogarting the TV on that.

I'd want it just to be able to watch something I recorded the evening before in another room.

@MarkJFine That's what I'm talking about.... 

GabeU must live alone... ya think? Smiley Wink 

GabeU

@kitnbob wrote:

Yep, and my house is so small that I practically can't get away from my single, living room TV.  LOL.  😛  

Well, my bedroom, but I don't have a TV there (yet).  Half of the time I fall asleep on the couch, anyway.  

@GabeU wrote:

@kitnbob wrote:

Well, my bedroom, but I don't have a TV there (yet).  Half of the time I fall asleep on the couch, anyway.  

In front of the TV I presume  Smiley Frustrated

@GabeU

You have only one TV. You dont need whole house dvr  either

D TV is over charging me $3.50 a month for nothing   (whole house DVR)

ya gotta watch your bill

GabeU

@kitnbob wrote:

@GabeU

You have only one TV. You dont need whole house dvr  either

D TV is over charging me $3.50 a month for nothing   (whole house DVR)

ya gotta watch your bill

No doubt.  I get charged $3 per month for "Whole Home DVR Service", which I've questioned time and time again.  Still, I've gotten some very decent discounts from them over the years, including presently, so I don't worry about the $3 very much.  Right now I'm saving nearly $60 per month with loyalty and contract agreement discounts, so I'm okay with it.  

@GabeU wrote:

@kitnbobwrote:

@GabeU

You have only one TV. You dont need whole house dvr  either...

.......  Still, I've gotten some very decent discounts from them over the years, including presently.......Right now I'm saving nearly $60 per month with loyalty and contract agreement discounts, so I'm okay with it.  

Hey, this was a year ago already.   Happy anniversary!     Maybe I should inquire about these loyalty discounts.  in a PM perhaps. I need to save some money bout now. Smiley Embarassed

GabeU

@kitnbob 

If you already know that you're no longer in a contract, call them and ask them if you aren't.  When they ask why you're asking, just say something alluding to the price getting high, and that will send them into action to keep you as a customer.  They'll probably offer you a good discount, and maybe even more than one.  🙂  

Not long after my last post my DirecTV experience became a nightmare.  I have one more month of my $60 discount, but I doubt I'll be able to get it renewed due to being in a new contract.  I was having a freezing issue with my Genie, so I called them to have it replaced.  They told me all they could do was either replace it for $300, or upgrade me to the Genie II for free.  I chose the latter, which is overkill, as why do I need a wireless system with one TV and the cable from the dish coming up right behind it?  It was even more stupid, as I had to relocate the receiver so it was at least four feet from the Mini, as it's supposed to be that way.  Anyway, the freezing was still there, and when I called about it I'm told that it's a known software issue.  So, I was basically lied to, with them telling me that upgrading to the Genie II would fix the problem, with them knowing full well that it may not, and they did it in order to get me into a new contract.  I really hate DirecTV right now.  Instead of a just being honest and telling me about the software issue and recommending that I just wait, and perhaps giving me another discount until the problem was resolved, which is since has been, I was lied to and jerked around. 

Pre AT&T DirecTV would have either just been honest about the issue, or they would have replaced my existing Genie for free to try to make me happy.  Or, better yet, they wouldn't have released touchy software in the first place.  They treated me like they valued my business and loyalty.  I was very happy with them and would have recommended them to my family and friends, and I did.  Not today.  No way.

@GabeU wrote:

.......................  I really hate DirecTV right now.  Instead of a just being honest and telling me about the software issue and recommending that I just wait, and perhaps giving me another discount until the problem was resolved, which is since has been, I was lied to and jerked around. 

I got rid of DirecTV about twelve years ago, way before AT&T, because of all their lies.  In my case it was about the always in the future availabity of local channels, which never happened in the three years I was with them. 

@gaines_wright wrote:

........  In my case it was about the always in the future availabity of local channels, which never happened in the three years I was with them. 

I'm still wanting to put a 20' tall antenna on top of my house to try to clear the hill to my east.   Smiley Indifferent

@GabeU wrote:

@kitnbob 

If you already know that you're no longer in a contract, call them and ask them if you aren't.  .........

Pre AT&T DirecTV would have either just been honest about the issue, or they would have replaced my existing Genie for free to try to make me happy.  ..............I was very happy with them and would have recommended them to my family and friends, and I did.  Not today.  No way.

I think I had the dish moved in March, 2 years ago.   So I guess I have a few month left of the contract for HD service.

The old DVR was failing, the tree branches were obstructing, so it was time for an upgrade after at least 11 years .

Am I a loyal customer or what.

I had the old DVR replaced (for free) once already, it wasn't even called a "genie",   so I got a free install and a new HD DVR,   Then (look out) ATT&T took over.

No problems so far ( 18 months) cept the last  software revision came out last month   Ox114b for the  HR54/200 Genie

I have heard of complaints about graphics and fonts.   My only problem is I find NO way of turning OFF the Wi-fi access to to the HT2000 . 

And I'm down to my last (1MB token) Smiley Sad

GabeU

@kitnbob wrote:

My only problem is I find NO way of turning OFF the Wi-fi access to to the HT2000 . 

And I'm down to my last (1MB token) Smiley Sad

Do you mean the HT2000W's WiFi altogether, or do you mean your DirecTV receiver's WiFi access to the HT2000W?  

The HR54/200 Genie, after the update, the "settings" became very unfriendly. 

I didn't setup ethernet to the receiver so it first looks for wi-fi signals (cant stop if from doing that) 

SO I can change my password, so that the DirecTV HR54/200 Genie  will be declined access. 

Dam wi-fi Moochers. I'll cut em off!!!!    Smiley Happy

GabeU

@kitnbob 

Ah, yeah, the Genie's can be EXTREMELY annoying.  I made that mistake of connecting via WiFi once, just to test it, and when I reset the network through the Genie's settings it stopped the Genie from trying to connect, but it never stopped the constant hounding about wanting to reconnect.  I finally got so sick of it that I did the only thing I could do to stop it... a complete factory reset.  It wiped the DVR, which aggravated me due to having some things on there that I really wanted to keep, but it was worth not having that annoying reminder fifty gazillion times a day.  😛  

I wish I still had my regular Genie.  My Genie II, which has the Ox114b (got it Jan 10th), only bugs me once in a while, but if I were to connect it, even for a minute, then reset the network so it was no longer connected, I have no doubt it would hound me just like my original Genie. 

Does resetting the network in the Genie not stop it from trying to connect to the WiFi on its own? 

I was gonna ask about that. I guess I'll find out when I turn my tv on.

My phone is relentless too. After the last phone update, It started to send me two notifications every 5 minutes.

One for No Data connection, and one for No Service connection. 

I FIXED THAT.  i TURNED on airplane mode every time I come into my house. 

I already knew I was out of cell coverage. 

I tried to re-set network for the genie, It didnt WANT to be set because wi-fi was already working.

Smiley Happy It isn't NOW. (heh heh) we'll see and I'll let ya know