Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Retro Gaming...

Gotta love it.  🙂  

Retro1.jpg

It may be hard to tell from the picture, but the controller on the left is USB, while the one on the right is Bluetooth.  Right now I have about twenty games on the system, ranging from the Atari 2600 to the Super Nintendo.  Inside the Super Nintendo-esque console is a Raspberry Pi 3B+. 

One of these days I may get adventurous and download a prebuilt image, which would include hundreds of games from various systems.  

8 REPLIES 8
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

@GabeU, very cool! I gave up on video gaming when the first Nintendo came out and my four year old son could demolish me at Super Mario Bros, haha! Best purchase we ever made was when we moved from CA to WA and we bought each of our three kiddos a Game Boy, which we gave them when we boarded the plane. Not one peep out of them the entire flight, lol! They are all in their 30's now and wish they still had them!
GabeU

@debbie.jean.bro

My brother and I got an Atari for Christmas in 1981.  It was fun, and we played it a lot, but we didn't really end up getting into the video game craze.  Years later, in 1993, I bought a Super Nintendo and a few games.  It was fun, but again, I didn't really get caught up in the craze.  Plus, at that point, I was on my own and working full time, so there wasn't a whole lot of time to game.  

Now being "retired", I have a bit more time on my hands, so something like this thing is fun.  I was never really all that into action games like the majority of people, but rather the slow paced, role playing games.  Then again, I do have a few of the classics installed, like Space Invaders, Frogger and Donkey Kong.  Plus, Super Mario Brothers.  😛 

I love these Raspberry Pi computers.  The number of things you can do with them is endless, and this is just one of them, though it may very well be the most popular.  

@GabeU

We got an Atari for Christmas from a family friend when I was in high school. It ruined our TV and my mother was furious, haha!

I'm sorry to post this here, but as I cannot start a new topic and I couldn't find help in a search, I don't know where else to ask.

I've been trying to start a new topic in "general discussion" for an hour. My problem is I am required to put in a "label" and I have no clue what my options are. I've tried about a dozen and they've all been rejected. I don't recall having to do that in the past, but if I did, I've forgotten. Could you give me some examples of acceptable labels, TIA!!
GabeU

@debbie.jean.bro

The label you need to add is on the right.  It says "general discussion is not a support area".  Click that to add it.  Again, it's on the right.   

They changed it to require that so people would know that this section is not for support, as a lot of people were looking for support in here. 

Capture.JPG

@GabeU

THANKS!! Gotcha!

@GabeU  Those Raspberry PI's sound really cool. Maybe someday when I have time and money to play around, I'll look into getting one. It seems like they have a ton of applications.

GabeU

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:

@GabeU  Those Raspberry PI's sound really cool. Maybe someday when I have time and money to play around, I'll look into getting one. It seems like they have a ton of applications.

They are, and they do.  Just the fact that they can fit a complete computer onto such a small board is pretty neat.  Actually, the Pi Zero even moreso.  The thing is so tiny it's unreal.  And that you can use them for so many things, including as a Linux based computer, is what really makes them great.  Some of the things I see people using them for in my Raspberry Pi group on Facebook makes me scratch my head in amazement.  

And the fact that their so cheap doesn't hurt, either.  

The history of the Raspberry Pi, and the original idea and purpose for them, is quite interesting.  

@GabeU Well dang it! You know me; now I've got to go read all about the history of it, lol!