Hughesnet Community

THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST INTERNET SERVICE IMAGINABLE!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FritzMaster
New Poster

THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST INTERNET SERVICE IMAGINABLE!

This morning my D/l speed was a 'blazing' 0.95, and my U/L speed was about 3.  **bleep**!  I gave up a constant speed of 10Mps with Century for this kind of crap.  I have only had HughesNet for a little over a month,but without a doubt this was a mistake I regret every day I use it. I run out of my allowed usage wishing the first week. Never was told this was the way they do business.  Never knew about the data limit and was told by the sales rep I could stream movies at my service level. It was either a lie or the rep knows nothing about steaming movies.  Now they tell me I have to buy more tokens????...or wait a few more days to get my 'promised' full allotment of 25 Mps restored.  How the heck do they get away with this type of misrepresentation in promoting their service?

7 REPLIES 7
MarkJFine
Professor

There is no 'data limit' but they do throttle your speed if you exceed your plan amount. Pretty sure you knew there was a plan amount because that's what your monthly payment is based on.

As for streaming, this is satellite internet which is not the same thing as terrestrial services. It is generally meant for people in rural areas that are not otherwise served by terrestrial. It is not meant for avid streaming or cord-cutting, which should have been evident by the relatively low-sized plans, regardless of what the rep said (who likely has no clue about the intensity of your streaming habits).

If you have a technical issue or need more advice on how to better manage your plan amount, suggest you calmly raise the issue without the bleeps in Tech Support. This area is for generally non-HughesNet discussions.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"regardless of what the rep said (who likely has no clue about the intensity of your streaming habits)."

Extra kudos for this.

maratsade

"THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST INTERNET SERVICE IMAGINABLE!"

For some perspective, try dialup.

“For some perspective, try dialup.”

Lol. Hyperbole doesn’t exist here.
(Just noticed there’s no Quote button on mobile”

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Users engaging in hyperbole???  Surely ye jesteth.

@MarkJFine wrote:
“For some perspective, try dialup.”

Lol. Hyperbole doesn’t exist here.
(Just noticed there’s no Quote button on mobile”

GabeU

@FritzMaster

It is always important for a prospective customer to research a product or service before they purchase it, and that's especially true of the latter.  No one should go in blind, nor should they solely rely on the salesman.  Salesman are there to sell a product, not promote its limitations.     

Streaming can be done, but like mentioned, this service is not meant for cord cutting.  Per Netflix, streaming in HD uses up to 3GB or more per hour, SD up to 750MB or more per hour, and LD up to 350MB or more per hour.    

If you're running out of data your answer is to use less data.  No one has to buy tokens, nor to they have to get to the point that they would need to buy tokens.  When you run out of data your service speed is throttled, like you're finding out.  FAP speed, the Fair Access Policy being what you're subject to when you run out of your plan data, is officially "As low as 1MB or lower."  

The following post may help you...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

Additionally, no speed is guaranteed or promised.  The 25Mbps is an "up to" speed.  

Lastly, please respect the fact that this is a public site, with many people reading it.  There is no reason to use foul language.

GabeU

@Skyscope

If you would like help with the issue(s) you're experiencing, please start a new topic in Tech Support.