Hughesnet Community

Tech companies

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech companies

It seems to me that many of the customer complaints here are not really about Hughes per se, but are about the tech companies that Hughes chooses to do the work. There're rude, they never show up when they say they are, they can't get here for a week, they don't have proper ID, etc.

For example, posted 3 hours ago:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Modem-not-working/m-p/109634#M74400

How does Hughes or any other provider choose these companies? It seems to me that they often don't choose wisely. I've dealt with Hughes, Directv, and Dishtv, and none of them chose the very good tech company that I discovered that's only twenty miles away to do the work. Even though this company is authorized to work on all three of them, and just about anything else.

When my original Hughes installation was done, they sent a tech company from over seventy five miles away. They did a good job -- maybe too good. They put the dish on a piece of 2" schedule 40 galvanized pipe set in the ground in a lot concrete.

Since then with the newer satellites the dish had to be moved about 50' away, this time my new tech company put it on a more sensible EMT pipe. I just had them leave leave the old 2" galvanized pipe in place, since it would have been very difficult to move.

It sure looks lonely out there all by itself, but maybe some day the dish will migrate back to it. :>)>

This is why I often advise people here that are obviously having problems with the tech company chosen by Hughes, to find their own tech company, and not depend on Hughes to choose one for them.

This did cause me to get a flag from a user for moderator interference one time. :>)>

"No state has an inherent right to survive through conscript troops and, in the long run, no state ever has. Roman matrons used to say to their sons: “Come back with your shield, or on it.” Later on this custom declined. So did Rome."
Lazarus Long

3 REPLIES 3
MarkJFine
Professor

Easy answer for an Ops guy: Cost, especially when you're giving free installations. You want the cheapest, most efficient, and available techs. Same for phone support. There's enough sunk cost in the technical part that there's little margin available for support or overhead.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Easy answer for an Ops guy: Cost, especially when you're giving free installations. You want the cheapest, most efficient, and available techs........

Well, judging by the posts I see here,  I can see they may get the cheapest, but IMO often not the most efficient, or available.  I would still advise people to find their own tech company, and not to have a provider choose it for them.

Of course, if you're getting free installation you may not have this choice.  Although I even wonder about that.  If  I sent someone to my tech company for a new Hughes installation, and Hughes was running a free installation promotion at the time, I think they would probably still get it.

I found a good tech company years ago.  I also think they're honest, because whenever I've called them asking if there's a better alternative to Hughes, they always tell me no, rather than trying to sell me something else and collecting another commission or installation fee. 

Maybe better worded would have been: most efficient and available for the company, not necessarily the consumer. If I have one installer that can do 6 - 8 installs in a day, every day, that's pretty efficient and available, and gives me a lot more bang for the buck. even if they're only 75% accurate. It might be efficient enough to cover the risk of having to send someone else out to fix it later, if need be.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.