Hughesnet Community

Why would I even notice something like this?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Why would I even notice something like this?

Capture.JPG

52 REPLIES 52
MarkJFine
Professor

That's where the bar graph and a % time remaining to show against the % data remaining makes more sense. Apples/apples.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

That's where the bar graph and a % time remaining to show against the % data remaining makes more sense. Apples/apples.

Agreed.  It was nice when the meter had that.  I wish they hadn't gotten rid of it.  

I was just sort of shocked that I noticed that out of place period.  I thought it was something on the monitor glass at first.  😛  

GabeU wrote: 

I was just sort of shocked that I noticed that out of place period.  I thought it was something on the monitor glass at first.  :

I never saw it. my eyes are too old. Time to go to bed.

GabeU

@kitnbob wrote:

GabeU wrote: 

I was just sort of shocked that I noticed that out of place period.  I thought it was something on the monitor glass at first.  : 

I never saw it. my eyes are too old. Time to go to bed. 

Without a sizable monitor I'm sure a lot of people won't see it.  

I just thought, "Well, hello, little period.  What are you doing all the way out there by yourself?"  LOL.  😛 

Edit:  And yep, Paint is still in Accessories, though I have it set to automatically be used for any picture editing.  

maratsade

I think the period on my meter is where it's supposed to be....

usagemeter.png

GabeU

@maratsade

Is that the new meter or the previous one?  I'm on my laptop right now, which has the old one, and my data is pretty low, so I'm not going to update it to the new one yet.  It's correct on this one.  

This is the first time since having Gen4/5 that I've ever gotten this warning.  😛   

Capture.JPG

maratsade

@GabeU, it's version 6.6.1.  Is there a newer one? 

I got the warning last month -- it started warning me when I still had 5 GB to go and less than a week to go.  Very helpful, though I miss the bar graph at the bottom.  I wish they added that back in.

GabeU

Yes, there's a newer one.  I believe it's 6.7.0, though I can't remember for sure.  

I miss that bar graph, too.  It was helpful to know where you were, data wise, compared to where you should not be, and to know it quickly.  Call me lazy, but I'd rather be able to see it quickly than to figure it out on a calculator.  

Hmm...let's see.  20GB divided by 30, or 31, or 28 (or even 29 😛 ), then multiply that by the days so far.  OR, take a look and see it in two seconds.  I'll take the latter, thank you very much.  LOL.  

I might actually end up using a little token data this month.  NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  LOL.  I want it to be one of those things that I have, but never need.  🙂 

for what it's worth,

@GabeU

The first pic, with the out of place period, is like mine ver 6.7.0.0

(the message is on two lines) period on the third

@maratsade has not updated yet. I think the ver 6.7.0.0 was just released mid January 

I got updated mine on 01-24-18

I Did notice after looking at allya'alls snips,

that you have more gb's in tokens than I  buy in my service plan each month for $97  Smiley Tongue (that's including HughesVoice)

Just added my mods to 6.7.0 and noticed the period didn't wrap in mine. It shouldn't be, but I'm wondering if that was a Windows, JavaScript, or browser wierdness thing.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@kitnbob, thanks! I didn't know there was a new version.  I haven't been prompted to update, so I'll just chill until I get the prompt. 

I have a lot of tokens -- I've been collecting them for years!

@maratsade wrote:

....... was a new version.  I haven't been prompted to update, so I'll just chill until I get the prompt. 

You probably haven't shut down your box for six months. Smiley Mad Dont ya have to start up to get all those nag screens about updates?

It's winter, and I have had only 3 brief electric interruptions in Jan. Smiley Happy 

ver 6.6.1 didnt seem to like those "hard Shutdowns" that Amanda always talked about.

heh heh you've got time. Wait till ver 6.7.2.0 comes out. Smiley Wink

maratsade

@GabeU, if you go over, you have GOT to take a pic of it.  You're Mr SuperDataMiser, after all.  You have a duty to document your downfall.  😉

I'd rather see the bar graph than have to learn how to use  a TI84 calculator...

What do we want?

The bar graph!

When do we want it?

Now!

(Is it too soon for satirical posts about skulduggery??)

GabeU

Eh, I don't know.  I've got about 29 hours left before my data resets and about 1.75GB to go, so I don't think I'll go over.  If I do, though, I'll be sure to get a snapshot!!!  If I didn't have all of the token data I would deliberately go into FAP to see what the speed is like, but I'd have to burn through all of my token data to do so, so that's not going to happen.  

Not so much the data miser anymore, but I used to be when I had Gen4.  My stepfather is the REAL data miser, rarely going over 1GB in a month with his Gen4.  In fact, I don't know if he ever has.  

With that said, I definitely do keep an eye on my data usage, that's for sure.  Probably more than most people.  Next month I'm going to be using my Netgear router for everything, and though it doesn't have a breakdown of the data usage from each device, it will give me the total, which I can compare to HughesNet's tally.  I did the same for nearly two weeks a few months ago, and it was pretty much dead on, give or take a few MBs.  

I'm doing the above because now that I have a smart phone, it makes tracking the data even harder.  On the computers I can just check Glasswire, but the phone's WiFi usage now throws that total off.  So, my cheap Netgear WNR2000v4 to the rescue!  😛  The WiFi throughput on it hits about 96Mbps, so it's good enough.  

@GabeU wrote:

Not so much the data miser anymore, but I used to be when I had Gen4.  My stepfather is the REAL data miser, rarely going over 1GB in a month .... 

I'm a Miser too.  Have a pre-paid 1GB/ mo plan on my cell phone from ATT.

I never go over my limit cause I drop out of cell coverage at my neighbors malbox.

Thats why I was happy to hear that the H2000w modem had  built in wi-fi

@maratsade and as far as "collecting" tokens goes, I have to stoop down and pick them off the street to collect them. HughesNet wont give me complimentary Tokens any more with Gen5.  after 11 years with Gen 3.  Smiley Frustrated

GabeU

kitnbob wrote: 

@maratsade and as far as "collecting" tokens goes, I have to stoop down and pick them off the street to collect them. HughesNet wont give me complimentary Tokens any more with Gen5.  after 11 years with Gen 3.  Smiley Frustrated

I tend to find them on my lawn once in a while, and even found a few MBs in a grocery store parking lot once.  😛

One day, while mowing the lawn, I saw something shiny by my dish.  I went over and looked, and sure enough, a coax connector was loose and some data had been dripping out.  Luckily, it had fallen on a large leaf and collected, so I scooped the data up, then came inside and poured it into the top of my modem.  Now THAT was a find!  😛  

maratsade

@kitnbob, actually, I have bought most of my tokens.  I still have some complimentary tokens saved from before Gen 4, but I've also supplemented my token collection with purchases.

I still have a bunch of prepaid and free tokens that are unapplied. Don't even remember how I got them.

Those never show in the Usage Meter until you go to buy some and hit "Use".

@MarkJFine wrote:

Those never show in the Usage Meter until you go to buy some and hit "Use".

I remember that from Gen3 I couldnt use the "Status Meter" app

had to go to home.myhughesnet    and to my surprise I had six or eight accumulated . Never bought any.

I never upgraded my plan to Gen4. Three or four months ago, I just skipped it and upgraded to Gen5.

and then the app changed names to Usage Meter.  and All My Tokens were gone. ("your New plan dosent support "complementary tokens") 

So I have been paying attention to my warnings as GabeU has  Smiley Wink

maratsade

@kitnbob, if you had tokens before, they can be restored. I also had no tokens listed when I upgraded to Gen 5.  I contacted one of the moderators here and the tokens were restored.