A short ode to Jupiter 2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GW
Advanced Tutor

A short ode to Jupiter 2

Fly fast and fly soon. Please leave for orbit tomorrow at noon.

Fly safe and fly free. Please rain some primetime bandwidth on me.

41 REPLIES 41
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

ditto, ditto!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think HughesNet may be even more anxious to get the new bird up and running than some of the suffering customers. Friday is going to be a good day.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"I think HughesNet may be even more anxious to get the new bird up and running than some of the suffering customers."

From a business standpoint growth has to have been minimal at best. Stockholders don't like that.

From a customer standpoint the 5 Mbps plans offered by SP3 just don't get it along with 5 or 10 GB monthly limits.

J2 should offer a few years of relief. I'll bet J3 is in the planning stages already.

knerkin2
Freshman

Friday?
foxbrook
Sophomore

Launch has been postponed to Sunday 12/18
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Better to find and fix problems now rather than a big bang on lift-off:

The EchoStar 19 spacecraft will be propelled into orbit atop a United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket on Sunday, Dec. 18.

Liftoff from Cape Canaveral will be possible during a 120-minute window opening at 1:27 p.m. EST (1827 GMT).

Playalinda Beach just north of the launch pad will offer the best and closest viewing spot for the general public.

The mission was pushed back two days to replace a component and to retest the rocket after pre-flight checkouts turned up a part that was misbehaving.

source:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2016/12/09/echostar-19-launch-aboard-atlas-5-rocket-now-planned-for-dec-1...

maratsade

Fly fast and fly soon. Please leave for orbit tomorrow at noon.
It needed a tweak
But it leaves in a week
GW
Advanced Tutor

C0RR0SIVE, Champion

• 5987 Posts
  • 3233 Reply Likes

Poor GW...

If I could, I would give you 50% of my bandwidth...
If you were on Beam 55/RAP, that would help as long as a half zillion other customers on this oversold beam centered on hillbilly nation participated in the plan.

It's all about traffic. If you hit it at the right instant, you get good performance. Hit it at the wrong time (nights and weekends) performance goes right down the tubes. I get results like yours when I test in the morning on weekdays.

Fri Nov 25 2016 @ 10:07:13 am
Dallas TX US arrow 15 MB 27.46 Mbps 3.43 MB/s66181296393Hughes Network historyOdTMUsE4Pshare history

Thu Nov 17 2016 @ 8:56:15 am
Dallas TX US arrow 15 MB 31.83 Mbps 3.98 MB/s661812980102Hughes Network historyEWf7Lb6crshare history

Saturday and Sunday morning, not so much. 7-10 PM any night, forget about it.

GabeU

Hopefully, in addition to alleviating the problems that are being felt on the Spaceway satellite, it will help those, like you, that are on oversaturated Jupiter beams.  To be honest, though, I would think the latter would be of secondary priority in comparison and will take longer to happen.  That's not to say it won't, though.  Who really knows what their actual plans are?   
GW
Advanced Tutor

Not sure Gabe. We have a Hughes installer in the group who pays attention and has absolutely earned my respect with his over and above service and deeds.

His understanding is relieving pressure from Jupiter is first priority as compared to the more popular notion that cleaning out Spaceway will be top job. Did you see that post? For obvious reasons, I want to bet my chips on his cards.

Edit for link: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/new-tech
GabeU

Yep.  I did read that, and although I respect Gokartergo very much, he's yet the only one who has seemed to hear anything about what may be the plans for the new satellite, and the Reps are yet to release any info. 

Perhaps that is the plan, but it just seems backward to me to "fix" the problems with the new before "fixing" the problems with the old.  Again, though, I guess we'll see when they actually do whatever it is they are going to do. 

Liz

We have another test to do on the new satellite which will confirm whether we go on the 18th... so my sources say. I agree with Gwalk-- test twice (or 8279 times) and launch once.
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, not like once it is lit can say "oh wait, one more thing we need to check".

No brakes like on a car......lol.
GW
Advanced Tutor

Hey CORROSIVE, I'll trade ya some off-peak bandwidth for a little primetime stuff.

Here's what happens Monday morning (average 30.1 Mbps)

compared to Saturday night average of 922 Kbps. Pretty big difference.

The difference is you can't dump a 50 pound bag of stuff through a funnel designed to pour from a gallon jug into a quart. It just makes a mess of things.

The 15 MB tests I set up this morning failed by running too fast so the testmy auto-escalated all to >44 MB.

Disclosure to Gabe: These tests were run through my router so objects in chart may be slower  than they appear 🙂

GabeU

Disclosure to Gabe: These tests were run through my router so objects in chart may be slower  than they appear 🙂
Classic.  I love it! 
chrisclupton

Will this help with the absolutely terrible service we currently receive during evening and weekend hours? I read somewhere to even see a benefit we will have to upgrade our equipment, is this true?
gokartergo24
Tutor

I read a lot, I hear a lot and I attend has many meetings has I can.  Thou I am not a official rep of Hughes. The reps here kind of have there hands tied. They can not say much. And that is understandable. Trade secrets and all.
GabeU

No matter what they do, I hope that, in the end, the new satellite has enough throughput to both help those on the older satellite AND those that are on heavily saturated beams/gateways.  And, of course, enough to add more customers without it starting to do what it is doing for some now.  Perhaps doing all three without much problem is a bit of wishful thinking, but I guess we will find out in a few months when they get it up and running and start using it. 

gokartergo24
Tutor

I have seen the map with all the beams of Jupiter2  It will cover the areas Jupiter one did not hit. The beams are oddly shaped in heavily congested areas. My guess is so they can get more beams in a area.  Jupiter 2 will do all three. And from my understanding The LEO satellites will hopefully be up  around 2020.