Gen5 HT2000W Power Usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidSTX
Freshman

Gen5 HT2000W Power Usage

In another thread, CORROSIVE (Thanks!) posted a link to HT2000W installer's guide, and it mentions the modem's power usage is rated at 75 watts. Does anyone happen to know what effect, if any, turning the WiFi off will have on the power draw?

I have the HN9000 on the Spaceway satellite and would love to upgrade to Gen 5, but I am on solar, off-grid, and the power supply for the HN9000 is rated at 46 watts. I will probably upgrade anyway, but I am curious about the pwoer usage, as I may have to add some more batteries to my system. 30 watts more does not sound like a whole lot, but on my setup it makes a difference. Thanks for any info, i know it is a strech since no one is using these yet, but i was hoping maybe one of the reps may have some info.

Thanks,

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

DavidSTX,

According to my APC Back-UPS Pro 1500va unit, the modem (HT2000w) is drawing about 40w at idle with clouds and a signal of ~110.  Granted this is using the information the UPS provides and isn't very accurate, it should be a better estimate than initially stated.  Probably wouldn't go up but 5-10w at most in stormy weather.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If I remember right the wattage they list is the absolute maximum possible wattage the system could use, and I think that's only if a weired short/failure occurs.  I know the HT1100 is using between 17w and 29w on average for me, typical router is probably about 25-30w depending on CPU in it, so I would estimate a maximum power load around 60w for every day activities during bad weather events.

Really wish I had my HT2000W already so I could tell you the exact power draw under what conditions. 😞

Thanks, thats good info.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

DavidSTX,

According to my APC Back-UPS Pro 1500va unit, the modem (HT2000w) is drawing about 40w at idle with clouds and a signal of ~110.  Granted this is using the information the UPS provides and isn't very accurate, it should be a better estimate than initially stated.  Probably wouldn't go up but 5-10w at most in stormy weather.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

Thanks CORROSIVE, you rock... 40 watts is not bad at all, and clear skies are the norm here in the desert. My recevie strength is usally about a 170-180 on the hn9000, so it should do good here. Now just have to wait until payday to buy the equiment. Have fun with the HT2000W testing, I look forward to that review.

Dave

Corrosive,
Would it be possible to disconnect the Wifi part of the HT2000W from the rest of it and connect instead a very low power router ( 2 watts or less ) in order to substantially reduce power consumption?

You can disable the wifi radios, but it wont lower the power draw enough to make a difference.  Have to remember, they only broadcast at about 30-50mW at most... Most of the increased power consumption comes from the other hardware in the system that can't be disabled.

Thank you for your reply, Corrosive. But I don't understand. In a response to the original question you gave 3 weeks ago, you estimated the power usage for the Gen5 HT2000W to be a maximum of 60 watts by adding the typical power usage for a router ( 25 to 30 watts ) to your range of power usage on the HT1100. Is there really no way to eliminate the additional power usage due to WiFi? Is the power usage by the Gen5 HT2000W unavoidably about double the power usage by the HT1100? Maybe 50-60 watts vs. 20-30 watts.

Router =/= wifi radios... They are two seperate beasts with in the same unit.  There is no way to eliminate the router circuitry and disable the CPU with in the unit.

Thanks, Corrosive. I understand now.