cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HughesNet Gen5

Advanced Tutor

Re: HughesNet Gen5

BirdDog , thank you ,that is what I was looking for.

Freshman

I entered my address and got an error message too, so I called and spoke with a representative today. I live in SW Michigan and was told that Gen 5 isn't available in my area yet. I should call back in a month or maybe 2. Not exactly the answer I was looking for. I can't believe the satellite still isn't ready yet.

Associate Professor

It is ready, but they are giving priority to those that are on Spaceway3(gen3) over Jupiter 1(Gen4) users.  Once they have a majority of the Spaceway3 users on Jupiter II, they will start letting Jupiter 1 users update to Jupiter II or Gen5 style plans I assume.

It honestly makes sense why they are doing it this way, seeing as Jupiter 2 is more or less a Spaceway3 replacement due to age and the very limited capacity of the older bird.

Freshman

Thanks CORROSIVE. I wish the customer service rep had explained it that way to me.

Hi Drewman,

Thanks for joining the community and posting. I had someone else here at corporate confirm that if one were to call in today to request an upgrade to Gen 5, they can do so. Getting installed right away is another matter, but at the very least you should be able to upgrade. Give us a call at 866.347.3292 to upgrade. If there's any issue, please post back and let me know.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Advanced Tutor

I think the three main Game Changers are:

1. No Hard Data Caps - Many users who hit their data allowance won't even notice that speeds have dropped to 1 Mbps. I have a lot of AT&T DSL users in our area who are getting less than that, even on a good day. Basically, that equals unlimited data access.
  2. Built-in WiFi - It's been estimated that at least 50% of HN tech and service calls are for issues with routers. Built-in WiFi will allow HN techs to reach into the modem, see what it's doing, and pinpoint which devices are using data.
  3. Smart Video Compression - The Video Data Saver will conserve data for the average user who really doesn't understand video resolution or how to manage its impact on data use. Even if a user has been throttled, 1 Mbps is still enough to stream in standard resolution.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Advanced Tutor

Re: HughesNet Gen5 Service Plans

Here you go:

Gen5 Service Plans.JPG

Highlighted
Sophomore

I must have been already moved to Gen5 because I spent over an hour on the phone with tech support Thursday night trying to resolve my slow speed issues and today they were supposed to call me back to do further testing.  They have not called me, but I went online to test again, and my speed is much faster. Now I just need to call and see if they can move me to the $49.99 20G price plan.  That is less than I'm on now and I already have the Gen5 router.  After all I've been through I don't see why they would not do that for me.

Advanced Tutor

@TampaGal wrote:

I must have been already moved to Gen5 because I spent over an hour on the phone with tech support Thursday night trying to resolve my slow speed issues and today they were supposed to call me back to do further testing.  They have not called me, but I went online to test again, and my speed is much faster. Now I just need to call and see if they can move me to the $49.99 20G price plan.  That is less than I'm on now and I already have the Gen5 router.  After all I've been through I don't see why they would not do that for me.

If you still have an HT1xxx modem, then you are still on a Gen4 plan.

If you have a HT2000 modem, then you are most likely still on a Gen4 plan, unless someone repointed your dish from J17 to J19. Otherwise, Gen5 plans are not slated to become available on J17 for a few months until they can free up some capcity, 

Freshman

Thank you Liz. I called the number you posted today and was again told that uprading to Gen 5 is not an option for me until sometime in April and that I would have to call back then. He wouldn't take my info and wouldn't accept an order, he just told me I had to call back next month.