Hughesnet Community

HughesNet Gen5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HughesNet Gen5

Hughes Successfully Launches High-throughput Satellite

Setting the stage for the next generation of HughesNet Gen5 satellite Internet service

EchoStar XIX, the world’s highest-capacity broadband satellite, will power HughesNet® Gen5, the next generation of the nation’s #1 high-speed satellite Internet service. HughesNet Gen5 will deliver more speed, more data and more advanced features for consumers and small businesses with limited Internet access options.

Scientists working on satellite

Technology Innovation

EchoStar XIX launched on December 18, 2016 from Cape Canaveral, Florida. Check out the coverage!
INDUSTRY LEADERSHIP

40 YEARS' EXPERIENCE
Hughes invented satellite Internet and has over 40 years in the satellite business.

GLOBAL IMPACT
Hughes is a global leader in satellite broadband, with more than 5 million satellite systems installed in over 100 countries.

CONTINUING INNOVATION
HughesNet Gen5 is based on the experience and expertise of bringing high-speed satellite Internet service to more than 1 million American consumers and small businesses for 15+ years.

DELIVERING ON OUR PROMISES
HughesNet was recently ranked first in delivering advertised speeds in the Federal Communication Commission’s 2016 “Measuring Broadband in America” report for the second year in a row.
Thumbnail

MORE OF EVERYTHING YOU WANT

The new HughesNet re-imagines the satellite Internet experience to deliver a breakthrough service that gives you more of everything you want. HughesNet Gen5 will provide more speed, more data and advanced features that enable you to do more of what you love online.

Father with two small children playing on ipad

47 REPLIES 47
Drewman
Freshman

I would love to upgrade. When will that be possible?

I heard that the Gen5 service starts on or after March 16th - just a couple of days away!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I assume installs wont happen till a bit later... It's probable they will start accepting orders for the new system around that time though.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Welp, I stand corrected, you can order Gen5 plans NOW! https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started

25Mbps on all plans, 10, 20, 30, and 50GB

At this point in time not sure what it has to offer me since I have the Ultra plan now. The increased speed isn't that big of a deal especially since I get 20+ Mbps download quite often now and don't care much about upload.

Has been VERY slow at night but hoping it will get better once folks start moving over to the new bird.

I think the three main Game Changers are:

1. No Hard Data Caps - Many users who hit their data allowance won't even notice that speeds have dropped to 1 Mbps. I have a lot of AT&T DSL users in our area who are getting less than that, even on a good day. Basically, that equals unlimited data access.
  2. Built-in WiFi - It's been estimated that at least 50% of HN tech and service calls are for issues with routers. Built-in WiFi will allow HN techs to reach into the modem, see what it's doing, and pinpoint which devices are using data.
  3. Smart Video Compression - The Video Data Saver will conserve data for the average user who really doesn't understand video resolution or how to manage its impact on data use. Even if a user has been throttled, 1 Mbps is still enough to stream in standard resolution.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

First this is not a comlpaint, just feedback.

I tried to enter my address, I was told address not valid.

Question: Where can I find the price for the new plans?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Reggie, did you try just the zip code?

Never mind, it doesn't like just the zip.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Maybe Amanda or Liz have a different link that works.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Reggie, here are the plans and should be available wherever Gen 5 is, which is pretty much everywhere in the Continental US, even a chunk of Alaska.

Gen 5 Plans

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

BirdDog , thank you ,that is what I was looking for.

I currently have GEN4 Prime plus plan and have my own Netgear Wireless router, 3 questions;

1) what GEN5 plan would be comperable, data wise to the prime plus plan?

2) can I use my NetGear Router as an extendor if I upgrade to GEN5 + WIFI?

3) what costs are associated with a GEN4 to GEN5 upgrade ?

Thank you

Carmen Vitullo
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Pete_Vit wrote:

I currently have GEN4 Prime plus plan and have my own Netgear Wireless router, 3 questions;

Thank you 

1:  Being that thge Prime Plus plan is a 10/50 plan, the equivalent will be the 10/50 plan (the Gen5 plans don't have names).  

2:  Though I'm not positive of this, I believe it depends on what your Netgear Router is capable of.  But, you can use your Netgear router with the HT2000W Gen5 modem the conventional way by connecting it with a LAN cable.  That much I'm sure of.  

3:  The only way you will know this is to call and ask.  Every situation is different.  You should go to the site, enter your info, and if the service is available to you, you can call the number listed on the site and ask what the cost would be.   https://www.hughesnet.com  Or, you can call from the start.  844-737-2700

@GabeU wrote:

@Pete_Vit wrote:

Thank you 

1:  Being that thge Prime Plus plan is a 10/50 plan, the equivalent will be the 10/50 plan (the Gen5 plans don't have names).  

2:  Though I'm not positive of this, I believe it depends on what your Netgear Router is capable of.  But, you can use your Netgear router with the HT2000W Gen5 modem the conventional way by connecting it with a LAN cable.  That much I'm sure of.  

3:  The only way you will know this is to call and ask.  Every situation is different.  You should go to the site, enter your info, and if the service is available to you, you can call the number listed on the site and ask what the cost would be.   https://www.hughesnet.com  Or, you can call from the start.  844-737-2700

Great, thanks so much for your help Gabe 

Carmen Vitullo

Here you go:

Gen5 Service Plans.JPG

I must have been already moved to Gen5 because I spent over an hour on the phone with tech support Thursday night trying to resolve my slow speed issues and today they were supposed to call me back to do further testing.  They have not called me, but I went online to test again, and my speed is much faster. Now I just need to call and see if they can move me to the $49.99 20G price plan.  That is less than I'm on now and I already have the Gen5 router.  After all I've been through I don't see why they would not do that for me.

@TampaGal wrote:

I must have been already moved to Gen5 because I spent over an hour on the phone with tech support Thursday night trying to resolve my slow speed issues and today they were supposed to call me back to do further testing.  They have not called me, but I went online to test again, and my speed is much faster. Now I just need to call and see if they can move me to the $49.99 20G price plan.  That is less than I'm on now and I already have the Gen5 router.  After all I've been through I don't see why they would not do that for me.

If you still have an HT1xxx modem, then you are still on a Gen4 plan.

If you have a HT2000 modem, then you are most likely still on a Gen4 plan, unless someone repointed your dish from J17 to J19. Otherwise, Gen5 plans are not slated to become available on J17 for a few months until they can free up some capcity, 

Interesting and good to know. My speeds are so slow that if not corrected by early next month tho I have to cancel.

HughesNet Customer Service called me yesterday and I'm scheduled to upgrade to Gen 5 in 2 weeks. If you had anything to do with that Liz, I thank you.

Glad to hear it! I'm excited for you!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!