Hughesnet Community

I watch tv off Hughesnet through WiFi ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tnewber93

I watch tv off Hughesnet through WiFi ?

Why is it eating up so much data I understand it’s constantly streaming but is there a plan or a way that I won’t be charged but like once a month for like unlimited data so I can watch TV every day
4 REPLIES 4
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Your plan is what it is, 50 GB per month daytime allowance for most people. There is no unlimited plan.

Satellite Internet is not meant to be a "cord cutter" service where you can stream as much as you want 24/7. Streaming TV in HD can eat a lot of data very quickly. Only help is to set the resolution to 360p or lower if the streaming allows it.

You should consider getting satellite TV service and not rely on satellite Internet for your TV.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Anything you do that uses the internet will use data.  The only options you have are streaming in a low definition, setting up a DVR type thing and recording your programs/movies during the Bonus Zone, when you have 50GB of data to use (2AM to 8AM), or limiting what you stream.  Really, the last thing you're going to have to do, anyway.  

HughesNet isn't really made for cord cutting.  You may still be able to stream in a lower definition after you've utilized all of your high speed data and have gone into FAP (throttled speed state), but there's no guarantee that this will be possible, as the speed may not be high enough.  

There are no plans with HughesNet that have unlimited high speed data.  

Edit:  BirdDog posted his reply while I was typing mine.  That I repeated some of what he said wasn't intentional.  

What I always suggest to people is. Get Dish or DTV and just get the basic cheapest package they offer.  Then you can stream other stuff..

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gokartergo24 wrote:

What I always suggest to people is. Get Dish or DTV and just get the basic cheapest package they offer.  Then you can stream other stuff..

And in DirecTV's case, streaming on a device that can send it to the TV, not via the DirecTV receiver.    

That one's a hard lesson to learn for those who have learned it.  😞