Need 40 gig plan

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lighthope1
Senior

Need 40 gig plan

13 days to go and already have depleted my data.  Ugh.  Had to do a clean install of Windows, download the updates, download software...argh!

Really need a 40 gig plan.  Wouldn't help this month, but for me, 30 is too little and 50 is too much (for the price certainly!)

Wonder how things are going to change when the next sat goes up.  Here's hoping Starlink and the LEOs come on line in a year...!

13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I've often wondered why there is no 40GB plan. 

@maratsade wrote:

I've often wondered why there is no 40GB plan. 

I sat down and figured out the per gig prices they charge.

10 gig plan: 6.00/gig

20 gig plan: 3.50/gig

30 gig plan: 3.33/gig

50 gig plan: 3.00/gig

A 40 gig plan should slot right in there at 3.15/gig or $126/month.  ($106/month if you sign up for a two year contract.)

I wonder what Starlink is going to charge per gig.

At the moment, anything is better than ViaSat. In my area, they are charging a laughable $200 for 65 gigs.  No bonus period!  (I didn't count the bonus period HughesNet has since most people aren't up during that time and so it generally goes unused.)

maratsade

"At the moment, anything is better than ViaSat. In my area, they are charging a laughable $200 for 65 gigs.  No bonus period!"

Holy cow.  I think their max speeds are around 12 Mbps too. 

GabeU

For reference, 10GB of token data is $30.  Granted, that would create a theoretical 40GB plan at $130 per month rather than $126 (it would likely be $125 by their pricing).  Perhaps the advantage of unused token rollover would somewhat make up for the $5 extra cost.  It's just a thought. 

@GabeU wrote:

For reference, 10GB of token data is $30.  Granted, that would create a theoretical 40GB plan at $130 per month rather than $126 (it would likely be $125 by their pricing).  Perhaps the advantage of unused token rollover would somewhat make up for the $5 extra cost.  It's just a thought. 

I never thought of that.  Though it doesn't work out as well if you're willing to take the two-year sell-your-soul-to-HughesNet offer.  lol

There's just something about paying $30 for a data token that feels price-gougy, even though as you pointed out it works out virtually the same if you aren't on contract.  Psycology, huh?

tbh, it would be a better money maker for HughesNet.  Guarenteed monthly extra cash when the data might not even be used.

maratsade

Price gougy is what Verizon Wireless charges for tokens: $15 a GB, vs. HN's $3. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

ViaSat's price for extra data is outrageous, as well.  I saw someone mention the price one day on their community and I was shocked.  Something like $10 per GB.    

Edit:  For their applicable plans, that is.  You can't buy extra for their "unlimited" plans.

maratsade

That's excessive. Glad HN's price is so reasonable (and don't you guys change it!)

@GabeU wrote:

ViaSat's price for extra data is outrageous, as well.  I saw someone mention the price one day on their community and I was shocked.  Something like $10 per GB.    

Edit:  For their applicable plans, that is.  You can't buy extra for their "unlimited" plans.

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

I didn't know they had unlimited plans.  I knew they had 150gig plans, but they nixed those pretty fast.

As far as the two satellite providers go, HughesNet wins when it comes to price and data.  But don't let's forget that is all a matter of perspective.  HughesNet is still really stingy with their data allowance.  It's just ViaSat is even worse.

HughesNet should be offering 100gig plans these days, considering how much everything has moved online.  (And that is even before the Chinese Coronavirus.)

GabeU

@lighthope1 wrote: 

I didn't know they had unlimited plans.  I knew they had 150gig plans, but they nixed those pretty fast. 

Yep.  They still have "prioritization" levels, where a subscriber "may" be prioritized behind others during periods of congestion once they reach the level for their particular plan.  For some, it's not that bad when they reach that level, but others have their speeds plummet to nearly unusable levels (0.2Mbps, for example).

As an example, one of their "unlimited" plans available to me has speeds up to 12Mbps, and the prioritization level is 35GB.  Once that data usage level is hit, all bets are off.  And it's $100 per month.  Their $200 plan has the same speed, but with a prioritization level of 65GB.  I'll take my 20/50GB plan with my much better speed for $69.99 ($86.59 total) any day over that.  LOL.  

Actually, in my area of NY I can get a 20/80GB plan for $60 plus tax and with no lease fee due to NY's "Broadband for All" initiative.  More data for a better price.  The catch, however, is that I would have to terminate my current service and be without it for 45 days before I could sign up for the "new" service.  I'd end up with the exact same model of radio and modem that I had just sent back 45 days prior.  😛  There's a 100/50GB plan for $130, too.  

I'm tempted, but to be honest, I'm waiting to see what the LEO services have to offer.  Plus, HughesNet is sending a new sat up next year and they may have much better plans than they do now.  We'll see.  

@lighthope1 wrote:

As far as the two satellite providers go, HughesNet wins when it comes to price and data.  But don't let's forget that is all a matter of perspective.  HughesNet is still really stingy with their data allowance.  It's just ViaSat is even worse.

HughesNet should be offering 100gig plans these days, considering how much everything has moved online.  (And that is even before the Chinese Coronavirus.)

Once that aforementioned new satellite goes up they likely will, but that's still a good while off.  Its capacity is a good bit more than the ES17 and ES19 satellites combined (~325Gbps vs ~500Gbps).  It's going to provide service for "the Americas", though, so how much of that capacity will be available here is anyone's guess.  

https://www.hughes.com/technologies/hughes-high-throughput-satellite-constellation/echostar-xxiv

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/jupiter-3.htm

@GabeU wrote:

@lighthope1 wrote: 

Yep.  They still have "prioritization" levels, where a subscriber "may" be prioritized behind others during periods of congestion once they reach the level for their particular plan.  For some, it's not that bad when they reach that level, but others have their speeds plummet to nearly unusable levels (0.2Mbps, for example).

By that definition, HughesNet also has "unlimited" data with "prioritization levels".  I was speaking about "at speed" data.

@GabeU wrote:

I'm waiting to see what the LEO services have to offer.  Plus, HughesNet is sending a new sat up next year and they may have much better plans than they do now.  We'll see.  

My understanding is that they are going to start in the Southern States.  Which is odd as most of the dead areas are in the North as far as I understood.

So I have to wait a bit after the rollout before I can get it.

Wish they'd hurry up.

maratsade

"HughesNet should be offering 100gig plans these days, considering how much everything has moved online. "

Meh. I'm happy with the offerings.