Upgrading

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John1701q
Freshman

Upgrading

I am been with this service since 2012, I have the HughesNet Gen4 Power.

But now I see this Prime Plus will cost rougly the same and give me 50 gigs in the bonus time instead of 10. How do I upgrade? Now a few years back I was sent a new modem, but I could not get it to work. I was working 10+ hour days and could not sit on the phone for hours waiting to get help. Do I need to go through that agin if I upgrade?

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I believe you'd have to upgrade to Gen5.  You should call the customer service line at 866-347-3292. 

I dread calling that number, it is a nightmare every time.

maratsade

Have you tried chat?   

GabeU

@John1701q wrote:

I dread calling that number, it is a nightmare every time.

There's no argument with that.  😛  

If you're seeing the Prime Plus plan available in your plan options on the HughesNet MyAccount site, and your equipment is presently working as it should (you don't still need to replace the modem), it's likely that you can change plans through the site and you won't need to do anything other than that.  You can check if that option is available by signing into the MyAccount site in that link, then click on "Plans & Pricing" under the Shop/Upgrade tab.  If the Prime Plus plan is there, and it's for the price you like, you can click Select.  I don't know what it shows after that, but it's likely a confirmation, or there's another step or two to take before you get the confirmation.  

This will be changing to a different plan with your Gen4 service, not an upgrade to Gen5.

If you want to upgrade to Gen5, you'll need to call everyone's favorite support number.  😛

I do see it as an option, so I will see what happens.

I do not want Gen5, heard too many horror stories.

maratsade

I've had Gen5 for over 2 years and haven't had issues. 

GabeU

@John1701q wrote:

I do see it as an option, so I will see what happens.

I do not want Gen5, heard too many horror stories.

If all goes well, it should be pretty seamless, other than the price change and prorated charges you'll see on your next bill, of course.  

I've had Gen5 since Apr 2017, and it's worked well for me, though everyone's experience is unique to them, of course.  I had only had Gen4 for fourteen months prior to that, and I'm glad that I upgraded, first to Gen4 from my legacy plan, then to Gen5.  My folks, who live right across the street from me, still have Gen4, and it works well for them.