cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ver confused about data usage

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Ver confused about data usage

We are having the same problem not enough GB for school classroom work. Can't Hughes let carriers like Google classroom thru and not slow them down? There is suppose to be covid relief! My granddaughter has to check in on Zoom twice during the morning and then is at different sites, I am buying tokens but it is so expensive.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

• Not enough GB is different from "letting carriers through."
  • The amount of GB you get depends on the package you buy (10, 20, 30, 50), and how much you and your household use per day. Usage is also influenced by many factors outside of HN, all of them explained on the HN website and as part of the subscriber agreement. 
  • HN has optimised the network to improve access to educational resources, but once again, access is also dependent on many factors, explained on the website and subscriber agreement. 
  • If you are using more data than you get, your choices are to use less data (which of course may not be possible), or buy more data (a larger package, or data tokens). 

SharlaNickell wrote:
We are having the same problem not enough GB for school classroom work. Can't Hughes let carriers like Google classroom thru and not slow them down? There is suppose to be covid relief! My granddaughter has to check in on Zoom twice during the morning and then is at different sites, I am buying tokens but it is so expensive.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@SharlaNickell wrote:
We are having the same problem not enough GB for school classroom work. Can't Hughes let carriers like Google classroom thru and not slow them down?  

Not having a data limit, even on just certain activities, would have the opposite effect of what everyone wishes, as in it would slow the service down even more than what is already occurring.  Having high speed data limits forces people to prioritize their activities, which is what keeps the service usable.  Without those limits, the system would end up in a digital traffic jam.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

I think one issue is that many subscribers don't understand how satellite works and keep comparing it to terrestrial internet.  They don't realise how small the data packages are for satellite internet, and how fast data can be used by regular Web activities (even though a simple calculation would show just how little is available to use on a daily basis). 

@GabeU wrote:

Not having a data limit, even on just certain activities, would have the opposite effect of what everyone wishes, as in it would slow the service down even more than what is already occurring.  Having high speed data limits forces people to prioritize their activities, which is what keeps the service usable.  Without those limits, the system would end up in a digital traffic jam.