cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Wifi password

New Poster

Change Wifi password

I am a Gen5 user. As far as I know I have a Hughesnet router or modem. I have run out of data on their highest plan in just a few days of each month. My roommate refuses to listen to us when we tell him that using his ps4 is not recommended by Hughesnet. He continues to play his games and we run out of data after 7 days. So, I want to know if I can get into my router/modem settings and change the password so only we can get online? Either that or I'm about to lose my cool with my roommate. So can anyone help me out?
10 REPLIES 10
Professor

Re: Change Wifi password

Hi  Concerned,

Are you trying to change the admin password?  Are they using your regular wifi or the guest wifi? If they have access to the admin pw for the wifi, you can change it by going to http://192.168.42.1, clicking on Wifi Settings, entering the current admin password, and then changing the password in the box labeled "password."

Assistant Professor

If you know the MAC address of the PS4, you can lock it out of the wifi as, well.

In the Wifi settings, under Advanced Setup -> MAC Filtering Table
1. Enable MAC Filtering: Yes

2. Access Rule: Deny <- make sure this is Deny and not Allow, otherwise you might lock yourself out.

3. Enter the six parts of the hexadecimal MAC address in the first open row.

4. Click "Save Settings" at the bottom.

Sometimes it locks up after Saving for some reason, but a quick hard reboot by unplugging from the wall and plugging back in will set it right.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
New Poster

Thank you for your prompt reply to my enquiry. I have found a way of getting into the administration settings on the modem. I see all of the IP addresses but have absolutely no idea which one is the ps4. I don't need the password for the modem settings. I can get into that. I had no idea there was a guest setting on the modem. The password to the wps I guess it is. When you try to connect to the Wi-Fi you have to enter a password, this is the password they have on the back of the modem. Everyone uses the same password to get onto the Wi-Fi. I'm trying to change that password. So he can't use the Wi-Fi signal. It's the way we connect to the modem.

I'm having the same problem. I need to change the wifi password from the long one that is on the back side of the modem  i have two granddaughters ages 18 and 13 living with me  The 18 year old has boyfriend living in our camper. He has a Xbox and you know the rest so please help me in got to where you change the administration password but that was it. So please please help me 

Distinguished Professor IV

@Concerned75

You're in the righ section in the WiFi settings.  You'd want to change the password in the "Password" box for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios.  Additionally, if you don't use or don't want to allow Guest access for either radio, you can uncheck the SSID Enable and SSID Broadcast boxes for each of the Guest radios (2.4GHz Guest and 5GHz Guest), and then click Save Settings. 

For the password on the two regular radios, change the Password for the 2.4GHz radio, then click Save Settings, then do the same for the 5GHz radio.  Just don't lose the newly created password(s), of course.  Also, you can use the same password for both radios (like it is by default), or you can use a different password for each.  It's up to you.   

Here's a PDF that gives some basic info on the HT2000W, including some settings.  http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Can do it from the WiFi Home like that, or through the Advanced Settings as shown here, but not the WPS. The WPS is something completely different.

Untitled.jpg

Also recommend disabling the two Guest Bands by unchecking SSID Enable and SSID Broadcast on just those, so you don't invite unwanted guests, eating your bandwidth.

Just make sure you click Save Settings before moving to the next Band.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

@carolanne50,

You can change the admin password by going to http://192.168.42.1, clicking on Wifi Settings, entering the current admin password, and then changing the password in the box labeled "password."

Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine

Though I mentioned about disabling guest access, I should have recommended it, like you did.  I know that guest access has its uses, but....  I also didn't realize that you can change the password where you showed.  Good info.  

I also completely disabled the broadcast of my 5GHz radio from within the WIRELESS settings in the Advanced Setup.  I usually don't bother telling people about that as unchecking the SSID boxes is enough, but I like to turn off it's broadcasting completely as an extra measure.  And because I don't use my laptop or notebook very often, I'm doing the same for the 2.4GHz radio while not using it.  Again, I'd rather the radios don't broadcast at all.  Granted, I don't know if disabling them actually turns the radios off or just the broadcasting, but either way, I feel safer.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

I tried that and it didn't fnish changing it because I lost connection with the router. so how am I supposed to change it if it doesn't complete the process