Getting a new computer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert Hoffman
Freshman

Getting a new computer

Hi all, My computer, which run Windows 7 Home Edition, is at least 13 years old. I have had HughesNet installed for a similar time and now have Gen 4 as Gen 5 is not available where I live. We have a Hughes HT1100 modem. Since Windows will stop support of the 7 Edition at the end of the year, I have decided it is time for a new computer. So, it will be Windows 10. How do I control the downloads from Windows that I keep hearing are data heavy? Any tricks that I should know about? Hopefully this will only be temporary for us as Spectrum is reported to be coming down my road next spring!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkJFine
Professor

There's a setting for the network connection for 'metered'.

Untitled3.jpg

This will prevent any and all automatic system and app updates from occurring, so you would have to initiate them manually in both Settings (for system updates) and Microsoft Store (for apps). Likewise, if you have MS Office, it will notifiy you that updates for that are available (sometimes erroneously, btw), however it won't actually update anything unless Metered is temporarily switched off, then re-engaged after it's done.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MarkJFine
Professor

There's a setting for the network connection for 'metered'.

Untitled3.jpg

This will prevent any and all automatic system and app updates from occurring, so you would have to initiate them manually in both Settings (for system updates) and Microsoft Store (for apps). Likewise, if you have MS Office, it will notifiy you that updates for that are available (sometimes erroneously, btw), however it won't actually update anything unless Metered is temporarily switched off, then re-engaged after it's done.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.