Hughesnet Community

Just got Gen5, new router is losing internet over and over again.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnL
New Poster

Just got Gen5, new router is losing internet over and over again.

I spent hours troubleshooting my issue with tier 1 support today, useless scripted support. Finally at 10 till 5 she agreed to escalate it. Now I'm waiting for advanced support to call me back. So, here is the detail, I used to do this kind of support for a living, there are two issues the builtin DNS proxy on the router is non-functional and the device itself resets every 2-3 minutes. I'm putting Hughesnet on notice, you have 24 hours to get this working or I'm switching to unlimitedville.com. This hurts my employment and my children's ability to do schoolwork. Not cool.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm, you may want to look into using the Parental controls in the modem to limit things, along with Norton DNS... It's not that the DNS settings are being bypassed, it's that OpenDNS depends on knowing what IP you are behind...  Sadly, we aren't given a publicly routable IPv4 address and things such as OpenDNS don't usually work well.

If you know a little bit about FreeBSD and the such... I would urge you to look into setting PFSense + Squid + SquidGuard up on your network as a local firewall/proxy.  Some pretty powerful stuff once you get the hang of it.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18