Hughesnet Community

Lost in packet loss

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost in packet loss

Whenever I run a connectivity test there's a field called: "packet loss". Is this an indication of the number of resends on my system?

Thirty five years ago when I was doing 'C' programing. Every data message ( packet? ) exchanged had attached to it a CRC. ( cyclic redundency check ) My program would run a CRC on the incoming messsage, and if the results didn't match the attached CRC, it would send a NAK ( negative acknowledge ) signal to the source, which would then resend the message.

Is this what's meant by a lost packet?

"Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy."

Lazarus Long

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkJFine
Professor

That's essentially it, but I'm sure there are other additonal forward error correcting protocols involved.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MarkJFine
Professor

That's essentially it, but I'm sure there are other additonal forward error correcting protocols involved.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.