nameserver

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snorkack
New Poster

nameserver

I have a new installation.  Apparently Windoze can ask the modem to do DNS lookup but I use Linux and Solaris(Unix) which need to do their own lookup.  I need the ip address of two DNS nameservers I can use.  Probably the same ones the modem uses will work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm using Linux 18.3 and Firefox 64.0 .  I've never needed to enter a DNS anywhere to get my connection to work, but under administration, hardware, network, it says the DNS is 192.168.0.1, which is actually the address of the modem.  Googling DNS Linux I also found:   208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.222

Hope this helps.

BTW I'm glad to see that you use the proper spelling for Windoze.  :>)>

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I'm using Linux 18.3 and Firefox 64.0 .  I've never needed to enter a DNS anywhere to get my connection to work, but under administration, hardware, network, it says the DNS is 192.168.0.1, which is actually the address of the modem.  Googling DNS Linux I also found:   208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.222

Hope this helps.

BTW I'm glad to see that you use the proper spelling for Windoze.  :>)>

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  The addresses you suggest work ok so far even without registering with opendns.com.

The nameserver(s) your computer is using will probably be located in /etc/resolv.conf.

Best regards,

Fred

@Snorkack wrote:
The nameserver(s) your computer is using will probably be located in /etc/resolv.conf.

nameserver 127.0.1.1

scutil --dns

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.