Apple device not working with new hughesnet install

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jjb2337
New Poster

Apple device not working with new hughesnet install

So upset. We just got Gen5 installed (1st time on satellite). Laptop (surface pro) works great. But our iPad and iPhones do not work on wifi. Very mad. Tried a few recommendations on the blogs. With little or no resolve. Any recommendations - ready to cancel. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarkJFine
Professor

I'm assuming it's the HT2000w modem. Which wifi signal are you trying to connect to, the 2.4GHz or 5GHz one?

On your laptop browser, go to http://192.168.42.1 and login to the wifi settings using the default 'admin' password (you can change it later under Adminstration -> Password Settings).

How are the wifi channels set up at the modem from the main page? Recommend the following:
1. Security: WPA-Personal

2. Mode: WPA2

Also, from Advanced Setup -> Wireless:
1. 2.4 GHZ should be set to Wireless Mode 11b/g/n and Bandwidth 20/40.

2. 5GHz should be set to Wireless Mode 11a/n/ac and Bandwidth 20/40/80.

3. You can also set the security and mode (from above) for each band independently under -> 2.4GHz Primary Band and -> 5GHz Primary Band.

On your iPhone/iPad, also recommend the following:
1. Auto-Join
2. Configure IP: Automatic

3. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
4. Router: 192.168.42.1
5. Configure DNS: Automatic
6. Configure Proxy: Off

There are some speed advantages to using 5GHz over 2.4GHz, but 2.4GHz tends to be more reliable at a further distance.

Let me know if you have any questions.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MarkJFine
Professor

I'm assuming it's the HT2000w modem. Which wifi signal are you trying to connect to, the 2.4GHz or 5GHz one?

On your laptop browser, go to http://192.168.42.1 and login to the wifi settings using the default 'admin' password (you can change it later under Adminstration -> Password Settings).

How are the wifi channels set up at the modem from the main page? Recommend the following:
1. Security: WPA-Personal

2. Mode: WPA2

Also, from Advanced Setup -> Wireless:
1. 2.4 GHZ should be set to Wireless Mode 11b/g/n and Bandwidth 20/40.

2. 5GHz should be set to Wireless Mode 11a/n/ac and Bandwidth 20/40/80.

3. You can also set the security and mode (from above) for each band independently under -> 2.4GHz Primary Band and -> 5GHz Primary Band.

On your iPhone/iPad, also recommend the following:
1. Auto-Join
2. Configure IP: Automatic

3. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
4. Router: 192.168.42.1
5. Configure DNS: Automatic
6. Configure Proxy: Off

There are some speed advantages to using 5GHz over 2.4GHz, but 2.4GHz tends to be more reliable at a further distance.

Let me know if you have any questions.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Amanda

Hi Jjb2337,

Welcome to our community and thank you for posting here. We can definitely help you out, but need a little more information. When you say those devices do not 'work' on wifi, do you mean that they cannot connect to the wi-fi connections "hug2" and "hug5" ? If you can connect to one of them, is the problem not being able to access the internet, certain apps or particular web page? I am looking forward to your reply

Amanda