40 REPLIES 40
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I think he grabbed the whole folder and not just the current FW 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think you're right. Dumb old man.....lmao. I guess treed download folders are too much for him. What's your excuse Gwalk?  😉
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

New keyboard!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Or time for new glasses! BTW, that thing looks like some kind of space ship. Bet it is really nice. My poor man's RT-AC56R has been working well in 1500 sq/ft single story home.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I put on a different pair of glasses (Bee goggles?) and connected the new router.

Really sweet interface but you do have to go through the menu choices carefully.

I opted to not enable the Sync and Remote Access features:

It just opens up to many back doors to suit my taste.

Nor did I enable any of the "AiProtection" features because they access data bases in real-time. I may enable later just to gauge the performance hit and data usage.

These features could also be source of "missing data" as they wouldn't show up in Glasswire or any other monitoring software. It will be interesting to see how this work out and if the Traffic Monitor recognizes the router itself as a "client" consuming data.

Different traffic analysis displays:

Overall:

By device:

By application per device:

Definitely the tool to have for those that are missing data and are unwilling to breakdown their network.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I have the same stuff on my "cheapo" model and turned those same features off. Don't want anything that lets the router send and receive things behind my back.

The usage tools are sweet and has allowed me to know exactly where my data is going.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As a test I enabled the following services:

Security Assesment: Done
Malicious site Blocking:On
Vulnerability Protection:On
DNS Fitering:On: OpenDNS

Enabled at 2:37 PM

Remaining data:

47,488 Anytime
49,779 Bonus
29,000 Token

The router does list itself as a client in the list of devices:

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

OK, that is really cool.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Its not like I'm in danger of running out of data or anything like that.

In fact I just picked up a handful of wayward bytes that fell out of my laptops unused Ethernet port. Fortunately they were full-fledged Bytes and not bits so they were much easier to scoop up and jamb back in the Ethernet port.

Curious to see the amount and pattern of usage.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I keep looking for a Byte vacuum cleaner online. So far no luck. Those suckers make a mess!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I have been keeping an eye on the amount od data used by the AiProtection functions of my router.

in the period of 10/6 through the evening of 10/11 it has used 560.41 MB.

That seems like a lot of data used to this Miser:

GW
Advanced Tutor

My cheap ASUS doesn't give that depth of info but my Hughes Status Meter says we've used 588 MB from 10/4 through right now. That doesn't seem like much to me but I guess it's a whole new world now that I'm not constantly running speed tests.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, I pick on him about too much about being a miser but even 200 MB a day seems a bit low to me. I don't have AiProtection enabled but still use 300+ on a normal day.That is with wife doing some YouTube clips though. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

That 560 MB was consumed by the router itself in the course of providing the following "services":

Malicious site Blocking
Vulnerability Protection
DNS Filtering

At nearly 100 MB per day if someone had a daily plan those services would really leave a mark.

That would have been in addition to data used by my computers and devices.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

OK, so I have been known to horde a few Bytes now and then 🙂

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Why do I have a feeling most of those on daily plans will probably never buy one of these routers anyway. Is good to know how much enabling those services uses though.
GW
Advanced Tutor

Ewww, yeah that would leave a mark.

I forgot to mention the 190 MB Bonus Bytes that our gizmo's have used in the last week doing whatever it is they do when they stay up all night 🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I'm thinking it could only go up from there.

Those services are accessing some data bases. The more "internet transactions" you make, the more the data base is checked.