Hughesnet Community

Does Gen5 allow a public IP Adress and port forwarding?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edward10
New Poster

Does Gen5 allow a public IP Adress and port forwarding?

I use IP Centcom App on Windows phone to access my DVR to view curveillance cameras. With Netgear router I used IP address and forwarding port 80 and 554. I am at a loss with Gen 5....Eddie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you already had a Router I would just use that.  Turn off all WiFi on the HughesNet Gen5 modem by going to WiFi Settings and uncheck the box next to SSID Enable for 2.4Ghz and also for 5Ghz.  (Save after each).  Then just plug Your router into the HughesNet modem, all your old settings with your Router will be the same as before.  (I am pretty sure this will fix your problem but not exactly sure).    If your PC needs to be Ethernet plug it into the Modem itself NOT the Router. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gen5 doesn't allow for public IP Addresses, which makes port-forwarding impossible...  The only way to remote access your network is to use something like Teamviewer, or to connect over IPv6 and use something like noip.org to reach your home network.

Going the IPv6 route, all devices must fully support IPv6, and the address will change from time to time.

I do not have any IPv6 internet access with my current Gen 5 . How could I use IPv6/ even more confused now ..Eddie

My problems with this new Gen 5 Modem/Router got worse. My DVR which has been connected with ethernet cable to modem was working well but is no longer recognized. I have two ethernet cables to the modem. One to PC and one to DVR. Looking at the Modem back the good connection has two yellow flashing lights and one steady yellow light. The connection to DVR not being recognized has two yellow flashing lights and one steady green light. I have attempted switching and disconnecting and re-booting etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you already had a Router I would just use that.  Turn off all WiFi on the HughesNet Gen5 modem by going to WiFi Settings and uncheck the box next to SSID Enable for 2.4Ghz and also for 5Ghz.  (Save after each).  Then just plug Your router into the HughesNet modem, all your old settings with your Router will be the same as before.  (I am pretty sure this will fix your problem but not exactly sure).    If your PC needs to be Ethernet plug it into the Modem itself NOT the Router. 

I can access my Honeywell thermostat in other cities and change temperature etc. Just installed a Samsung security system downloaded WiseView on my phone, paired them with a QR code on the DVR menu and watched the cameras from my doctor's office. Just saying.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@g8rrick wrote:

I can access my Honeywell thermostat in other cities and change temperature etc. Just installed a Samsung security system downloaded WiseView on my phone, paired them with a QR code on the DVR menu and watched the cameras from my doctor's office. Just saying.

Many manufacturers have servers through which the devices communicate over the internet. My Nest devices also communicate through the internet fine without public IP addressing.

It is devices that try to comunicate directly with each other over the internet that run into problems without the end user having a static public IP provided by the ISP.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@edward10 wrote:

My problems with this new Gen 5 Modem/Router got worse. My DVR which has been connected with ethernet cable to modem was working well but is no longer recognized. I have two ethernet cables to the modem. One to PC and one to DVR. Looking at the Modem back the good connection has two yellow flashing lights and one steady yellow light. The connection to DVR not being recognized has two yellow flashing lights and one steady green light. I have attempted switching and disconnecting and re-booting etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Other than what's already been said about using your original router by @wildcats198308, I don't really have any suggestions for you regarding that.  

But, regarding your DVR, if it's a DirecTV DVR be careful, as they can use more data than just for On Demand and there's no way to control it.  

Edit:  Disregard my DVR comment.  I'm so used to DVRs in regard to DirecTV that this is what I mistakenly thought, not remember that security systems use their own DVR.  😛

ryand
New Poster

A new convert to HughesNet – and sharing all of your combined frustrations regarding security systems and the ability to remotely view your security cameras, I have found a SOLUTION… one you may or may not like, but it works and it’s easy: you need a new DVR.

BACKGROUND

We have a cabin in a very storm-prone, rural part of Georgia in a high elevation. Because we’re not there for days at a time, we thought a security system and a separate DVR/camera system were a good solution to “monitoring” the property. After struggling with our original DSL service, which brought download speeds of less than 1 Mbps, we opted for a HughesNet competitor. The installation was simple: we connected our existing wireless router to the competitor’s satellite modem and, shazam, everything worked as it had for years, including DVR access.

Then we switched last week to HughesNet – higher speeds, increased data allotments, better price and, what we never imagined – ipv6. Remote viewing of our cameras was not possible with our new HughesNet service, given the ISP’s inability to permit tunneling or bridging directly to our own third-party router. (I explain why bridging wouldn’t work anyway next.) Our previous port forwarding and use of a DDNS updater service to access our DVR remotely was no longer an option on HughesNet Gen5.

SO WHY?

Internet service providers (ISP’s) generally utilize ipv4, an old system of registering IP addresses and gateways on the web. With ipv4 addresses all but gone (all the combinations are all but used already), the conversion to ipv6 is underway. And with it, much more complex ipv6 IP addresses. This conversion alone didn’t account for the problems we were now having, as we learned.

If you migrated an older DVR to the HughesNet Gen5 system and had been using a DDNS updater client such as NO-IP, you’ve noticed it’s not working and you cannot view your cameras remotely. This is because HN uses a single gateway (ipv6 IP address) for scores of customers over a region since the launch of Echostar 19 (satellite) and introduction of its faster Gen5 service. With this service, our DDNS updater client successfully updated our dynamic DNS, but the update isn’t sufficient to make the connection to your home or business DVR. That old DVR uses an ipv4 address. And even if it’s ipv6 compatible, that compatibility still doesn’t “work” to make the connection.

In layman’s terms, you’re trying to “reach in” to that older DVR and it’s not possible. The DVR must “reach out” somewhere first to make the connection. DDNS updaters that accomplished this in ipv4 environments can’t do it in ipv6 environments. Traditional port forwarding will not work; ports cannot reliably be opened on ipv6 with HughesNet.

SOLUTION

After two days of research; hours and hours of tinkering with modem and port settings; and calls to HughesNet and our DVR manufacturer, I can tell you this: the only workable solution is to purchase a DVR that permits peer-to-peer remote access AND that “reaches out” somewhere (likely to the DVR manufacturer’s system) first. We bought a Night Owl system at an electronics retailer and it works fine. This is not an advertisement for this system; other systems including Lorex and Swann profess to have similar technology: hook up the DVR, scan the QR code into your app and, well for us, shazam. We’re up and running.

I hope this is helpful, as I’ve lived your frustration. Bottom line, in my view, if you’re going to launch an expensive satellite like HughesNet, it’s best to adopt the newest technology. HN has done that. Where they fail is explaining this to customers in a meaningful way.

byronics

You used the IP address the satellite assigned you, and then just forwarded 2 ports to view your NVR???

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@byronics wrote:

You used the IP address the satellite assigned you, and then just forwarded 2 ports to view your NVR???

As previously stated, HughesNet uses dynamic IP addresses, not static IPs.  The IPs are also shared between multiple users.  The IP assigned to you is temporary and changes often.  

If you require a static IP, they are offered for the Business Plans.