Did you mean: 
cwlives
New Poster

Firefox

Not able to type in body of email since Firefox upgraded to Quantum

17 REPLIES 17
MarkJFine
Professor

I just tried using web mail here using Firefox 57.0 (64-bit) Quantum with no issue.

Make sure your add-ins are up to date, especially Flash.

If you use the updated AdBlockerPlus, make sure it's set for "Allow Acceptable Ads" as there might be some javascript that might be getting blocked.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Debbie3
Sophomore

Same problem here. Any solution yet? Firefox has dropped java in version 57.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I just tried both HughesNet's online email and Outlook online and both worked without issue.  

ralphmoore
Sophomore

I had the same problem. I contacted HN  CS and an agent worked with me patiently with over a hour or so trying to rectify the problem. He then connected me to  Advanced Support and John  fixed the the problem.  Click on the  Preferences tab in HN Mail, then click on Composing, then Composing Messages, make sure under composing messages  the "as Text" is checked.  Then click save.  Evidently there was a glitch in the Firefox update.  Thank you HN!!!!

To the person who mentioned Java: Javascript is a scripting capability built into your browser that has zero to do with whatever (if at all) Java run time environment you have installed.

To the person who claimed setting to "text" fixed it: Evidently it did something, but not what you think it did. I never had mine set for text and it works just fine. So, not a glitch in Firefox.

Untitled.jpeg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Tara in customer support answered my email quickly. Solution for me was to go to Preferences, General, and toggle between Standard version and Advanced (ajax). Restart email program. I had stumbled upon the change to text fix myself--however it was not a real fix. Thanks Tara!

Ajax is Asynchronous Javascript and XML (not the household cleaner) and most likely needed updated user settings saved to the web site's database. The action of toggling probably refreshed all the user-settings at their end instead of trying to rely on cached settings from the browser, which may have gotten scrambled by the upgrade.

Only thing that makes sense since I hadn't used it prior to now (I use a POP connection in Outlook), so nothing prior to get scrambled. That's my guess (and I'm sticking to it). 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well my "fix" was shortlived. I cannot compose or reply to a message no matter how much toggling I do! Any ideas???

Same here also.  Fixes I used here also do not work anymore. Hopefully, someone can post a permanent fix to replying and composing messages.

It's Monday--Any chance Liz or someone might notice our email problem? I have exhausted all options tinkering with the Preferences tab. This is getting to be troublesome as I have no other email outside of Hughesnet. Help!!!

Well I tried changing to text instead of html to compose, and it does seem to be working at this time. Did notice that in address bar it says Firefox is blocking some things and connection is not secure to transmit. Never saw this before on old version of Firefox.

Just had an interesting time with the iFit site where the dashboard wouldn't load and some pages would lock up and not scroll. Reboots didn't fix it, so it's not a DNS issue.

Turns out the new AdBlock Plus is actively blocking a whole lot more than it used to. And not consistently, either. Going to My Email from the menu here, ABP showed 4 items blocked but doesn't say exactly what they are. It's quite possible that depending on the settings it may be interfering with the Javascript required for HughesNet's web mail to operate correctly.

For comparison, I have mine set for:
Block additional tracking
Allow acceptible ads
More filters: AdBlock custom filters, Malware, Spam404.

Hello everyone,

My apologies that you did not get a timely reply, normally we do not respond to 3rd party questions but this one is a little inbetween. I will escalate this to our website team and while I wait on their response, I will try to reproduce this myself in our lab. 

Thank you,

Amanda

I do not use ABP. I use Norten 360, and for several days after Quantaum launched I got messages that not all of Norten was installed. Never figured that out. I was the one who first mentioned Java. I do not not know enough to even be dangerous about this computer stuff--I just had read something that made me think Java might be the culprit here. It was from an old version of Firefox and Hughesnet email problem I saw online.

Not to be pedantic, but I think you mean JavaScript, which is what web sites use to automate their pages.

It's not the same as Java, which is a stand-alone run time environment outside of your browser.

Just ordered some gifts online and while I did get the green lock symbol, the binoculars were grey (manage plug-in). I then checked to see if flash was the culprit, but that did not help. I did read that Quantaum has blocked certain domains such as as our email sounds like to me...an embed in the Hughesnet webpage. Does this sound feasible to you??

@Debbie3 wrote:

I did read that Quantaum has blocked certain domains such as as our email sounds like to me...an embed in the Hughesnet webpage. Does this sound feasible to you??

Not really, because I'm now running 57.0.1 (64-bit) and have no issue with HughesNet mail.

Have seen other weird things from other plugins (like what I saw with ABP on iFit), but not specifically caused by the browser itself.

Could be that they're just not acting correctly in Quantum? Don't really know. Everyone's configuration is different.