Hughesnet Community

GlassWire

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GlassWire

After using GlassWire on my Laptop and finally realizing how usefull it is with HughesNet internet, being able to see what programs are using data and how much, how much data was used over a certain amount of time helps ALOT.   It would be much better if it was full network monitoring though.  With that said, I went and downloaded it for my Desktop and was browsing the GlassWire website.  Learning even more about the software.  I found that there is a User Guide which explains everything.  (User Guide can be found on the Help page on the site).  

Anyway to my main reason for this post.....  As I was browsing the website I noticed they now have an Android App available as of March 6th.   They are also in progress of making an Apple version as well.  Hopefully that gets released soon for all. 

14 REPLIES 14
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

That Apple version is certainly going to come in handy.  I'm sure the Android one already does, but the Apple one will be VERY helpful, as Apple devices seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to chewing through data.    

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

For a novice user Glasswire is worth its weight in gold. It will quickly show just how many background processes that are active. The problem is ... it only will report on the single computer that it is installed on and many novice users are reluctant to simplifiy their network to a single directly connected computer. We now have the wireless aspects of the HT2000w to contend with when trying to reduce the number of potential connection paths.

Even overlooking poor router securiy settings such as having Guest Accounts and WPS enabled or heaven forbid running an open wireless network(s) (2.4 and 5 Ghz)  it does not show usage by any router 'services' that may be enabled.

Do you KNOW what your Router is up too?

Many Routers have a number of internal preventive and cloud based services available.

Some items may be enabled by default when using an install 'Geni" as many manufacurers assume an unlimited broadband connection.

Here are the associated preventive and cloud based options from my Asus AC3100:

Protective.PNG

Cloud.PNG

These services, if enabled and depending on settings, may use considerable data that just seems to go POOF as it is not being in a location that is monitored by OS level installed software but is readily seen as network traffic by the modem.

I was attempting to use the Remote Server feature in GlassWire to show the usage from another computer.  I was unable to figure out how to set it up to get the data to show.  Only thing if I was able to get it to work, you can only set up one Server with the free version. 

I was thinking about purchasing it if I was able to figure out how to use the Remote Server but then seen its $49 for 1 PC - $99 for 3 PC and $199 for 10 PC.  I have 4 PC's  but I assume the 3 PC version would probably work.  It shows you can set up 10 Remote Connections, so I guess you can use the Free Version on other PC's and still monitor them from the main PC.  Maybe even the 1 PC option would be just as good.  BUT the paid version does not have much more usage over the free.

While I really find that Glasswire has considerable value I still favor having a router that tracks/reports usage by all devices and install the free version of Glasswire on the Windows based machines that I need really detailed reports on.

For my non-Windows items I can get pretty good details from the Router:

Samsung Galaxy Tab4:

Samsung.PNG

And my Nook HD+

Nook.PNG

For me, that is enough detail to alert me to a rogue app on one of those machines.

The third party Gargoyle-Router Firmware that I have on my WD Router shows how much data was used by each device, but does not go into full detail of how the data was used.  I am happy with just knowing exactly how much was use.  Also it has a Quota feature where I can give each device a set amount of data allowed per day/week/month and when that amount is reached it will slow that device to download/upload speed that I set  or shut down all internet access for that device.  It works great on my Router.   I am glad it is compatible with my Router! 

maratsade

@wildcats198308 wrote:

The third party Gargoyle-Router Firmware that I have on my WD Router shows how much data was used by each device, but does not go into full detail of how the data was used.  I am happy with just knowing exactly how much was use.  Also it has a Quota feature where I can give each device a set amount of data allowed per day/week/month and when that amount is reached it will slow that device to download/upload speed that I set  or shut down all internet access for that device.  It works great on my Router.   I am glad it is compatible with my Router! 

Gwalk has an awesome router that montors everything (see images above). It's very cool!

Sorry @maratsade I tagged the wrong person....  Meant to tag @Gwalk900.   so many posts and forgot who I was tagging.

maratsade

@wildcats198308 wrote:

Sorry @maratsade I tagged the wrong person....  Meant to tag @Gwalk900.   so many posts and forgot who I was tagging.

LOL! 

Glasswire does not seam to be showing the correct usage for my computer.  It shows 71 MB used for today.  My router is showing my computer used 234 MB.  This is a big difference.  I have noticed Glasswire not being right for a while now, only showing a few MB of usage for a day when I know I used more.   I have it set to show External Only (this is correct right?) I checked Internal and that shows only 30 MB. 

Anyone else seeing low usage on Glasswire?   Any suggestions to how to get it working?   (I did check the website and downloaded the updated version)

@wildcats198308 wrote:

Glasswire does not seam to be showing the correct usage for my computer.    I have it set to show External Only (this is correct right?) I checked Internal and that shows only 30 MB. 

Anyone else seeing low usage on Glasswire?   Any suggestions to how to get it working?   (I did check the website and downloaded the updated version)

"day" can be such a slippery term.

A Glasswire "day" is from 12:00:00 AM to 11:59:59 PM unless the period in question has been changed by moving the sliders at the bottom.

GW day.PNG

A Hughesnet "day" is a funny duck also. It can be thought of as 12 am to 12 am ... OR can be thought of as running from 8 am to 2am (of the next day) and 2am to 8am just to keep the usage bucket allocations straight.

Routers can count a GB as being either 1000 MB = 1 GB or 1024 MB = 1 GB

Routers can tally their "hour" as either starting the hourly period or ending the period. My Asus 3100 usage appears to be an hour off from the Hughes usage meters due to this.

My Glasswire output many times will be larger than that shown by the Hughes meter due to "compression" savings but is close to that shown by my router.

Another area is that of accounting for all connected devices including some easy to overlook items such as printers with network access.

Yet another is data used by and router based cloud and/or protective services. My Asus offers these and they can really burn data, data that is registered by Hughes, is not typically lsted in the routers "total" and certainly would not have been picked up by any Glasswire installations.

One more area is data that is run through again due to the need for re-transmission of data for whatever reason.

As to Glasswire settings, I have mine set to "incoming and outgoing" and "external".

As as rule, other than the one hour offset, the amount of data registered by GlassWire is very close to that claimed as usage for that device by my router. Those numbers can and do vary from the amount Hughes claims I used for the reasons stated above.

I understand all the information you mentioned.

I know my router counts 1 GB as 1024 MB.  But the daily usage shown is under 1 GB so it wouldnt much matter that the one counts GB usage higher than the other until it is over 1 GB. 

My problem is Glasswire has been showing much LOWER usage.   Yesterday Glasswire was 165 MB LOWER than my router and other bandwidth meters that I have.

If it keeps showing lower usage, I guess I will have to uninstall and do a full clean install.  Even though I wanted to keep all of the usage data.  But something does not seam right. 

You may wish to read through or post in the Glasswire Community for related posts.

https://forum.glasswire.com/latest

maratsade

"It would be much better if it was full network monitoring though."

I agree!  I love Glasswire, but I wish it would monitor the whole network.