cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toddmcopi
New Poster

Setting up a cellspot for tmobile

Hello all,

I recently got a place where my does not work.  T-Mobile sent me a mini-tower that works off the internet so I can make calls.  It seems I need to set up UDP ports but I am not sure how to assign the tower to a particular isp.  It is the only item that is hardwired to the modem.  After that, i am also not positive of how to set up the protocols for the UDP.  Any help is appreciated.... I am used to static ISP setups... 

3 REPLIES 3
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Sadly, due to the latency of Satellite Internet, micro-cells like what you have typically will not work.  You also can't open or forward TCP or UDP ports as you are behing CGN (Carrier Grade Nat).

If you hooked it up and it's not working, there's not really anything that can be done.

If you have a small somewhat weak signal outside, you might want to look into trying a Cellular Signal Booster such as the weBoost Home 4G 470101 Cell Phone Signal Booster 

I don't understand why that booster would work but not the mini cell tower?  Also, I have the ports open via tech support at Hughesnet... Still not working though.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@toddmcopi wrote:

I don't understand why that booster would work but not the mini cell tower? 

The booster I linked takes a weak signal, amplifies it, and then broadcasts it.  It has no need or use for an internet connection, but it does require at least a weak signal to work.

I have already stated, your MicroCell from TMobile will not work with Hughesnet due to the latency, which is the time it takes for one device to talk to another, and to get a response back.  T-Mobile also offers a booster instead of a MicroCell/Cellspot.  https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-14947

From the T-Mobile Website: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24269#fifthheading

Is there a minimum internet speed requirement for T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot? Will satellite internet work?

Minimum internet speeds of 2Mbps downlink and 512Kbps uplink are recommended. Satellite internet isn’t recommended as it affects product performance.