Unable to send e-mail from MS Outlook

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul
New Poster

Unable to send e-mail from MS Outlook

I have SMTP, set for auth., Port 587. SSL no. I have called Tech. support twice, first spoke with Cynthia who could not help me, she escalated the trouble and said a tech would respond within 24-48 hours, no one called, that was on 12/18. On 12/28 called again and spoke with James, he went through his script, and still no help. He escalated to the next level and said someone would call me before 6 PM Pacific time, no call. Can anyone here help me? I any Hughesnet people read this, give me a call, you've got my number on TT 134987958, or you should, I gave it to your folks several times. I retired from AT&T with 27 years as a second level manager, 20 of that was in Network Technical Support. We supported Regional, then national then worldwide AT&T customers. We had a world-class organization. If any of my people acted like these folks we would have had a serious discussion of their performance. Hughesnet technical support is FAR from World Class. Paul
6 REPLIES 6
MarkJFine
Professor

Try port 465 to send to smtp.hughes.net; port 995 to receive from mail.hughes.net.

I also assume you meant 'SSL on' instead of 'SSL no', as I think the new email requires SSL.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I tried that earlier today, no good, still fails. SSL is set to no, Per HN Tech. Support. I can send mail from Hughes web mail but not from Outlook. And, I can receive mail in Outlook. Thanks for your time and response.

Those ports should only be valid if SSL is on, and quite frankly, not sure why they would tell you otherwise.

Few email services are operating with non-SSL email access (for good reason), and Hughes recently moved theirs from Senacor to someone who uses Oracle Cloud. Tech Support likely didn't get the memo.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

OK, port 995 SSL = yes Port 465 = yes This fixed the problem. All is right with the world. I used these ports this morning but did not enable SSL, again, per HN. I am a happy person and I thank you for your time and help. Now, to get back to HN tech support and tell them how to fix the problem! Paul

lol.

Rgilchrist
New Poster

I also had this issue using Thunderbird. With hn support on the phone, I changed to port 465 and all is working. Hn said that should throw an error.  So they are aware of the issue.