Hughesnet Community

What games do you find playable on Hughesnet?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I figured we should start a thread to help track what games work with Hughesnet Gen5 service, as well as what platforms those games use.  To help others figure things out, we should try to use a format for posting in this topic, whether a game works or doesn't, or what issues we find in that game.  Hopefully in time we can compile a list of games, from console games, to browser flash games that work, or may not work with Hughesnet, as well as any issues for a particular game.

Regardless of the game, even if it's Candy Crush, let us know if it works for you, but also let us know where it's played at or what it's played on. Like on Facebook, or on a tablet, or other devices.

---------------------------------Format---------------------------------
Game Name:
Platform: (Browser, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Nintendo Wii, and so on, only list what you have played it with)
Genre of Game: (FPS, RTS, and so on)
Works:
Recomended for Gen5/Satnet:
Notes:
---------------------------------/Format---------------------------------

21 REPLIES 21
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Game Name: Diablo III Reaper of Souls
Platform: PC
Genre of Game: Fantasy/RPG
Works: Yes
Recomended for Gen5/Satnet: Yes
Notes: This is one of the few games where high latency doesn't always matter, but a smooth and consistent latency does. With Hughesnet Gen5, the latency is lower than what Gen4 ever offered, and much more consistent. I have no issues playing in rifts, greater rifts, or playing with other players. The only downside is, due to the normal latency of satellite internet, I will not be able to get into the higher rankings that some players can get to, however this doesn't detract from the fact that it's still an enjoyable experience for the occasional gamer.

Game Name: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void
Platform: PC
Genre of Game: Sci-Fi/RTS (Real Time Strategy)
Recomended for Gen5/Satnet: No
Notes: While the game is playable on Hughesnet, I find that playing against other players in a competitive match up isn't enjoyable. Starcraft II being more dependent on a lower latency makes it impossible to "macro" your units in an army in time to help combat other players. I have also found that when browsing the maps, it can take several minutes for the map database to load. However, playing on a LAN with other players, or verses the AI, is greatly enjoyable once I have located a map that I want to play on. So for those looking for a competitive game against others, this may not be for you, but for those that enjoy an RTS against a computer AI, or against a real life buddy, it's certainly playable on Hughesnet.

Game Name: Borderlands
Platform: PC/Steam
Genre of Game: FPS
Works: No
Recomended for Gen5/Satnet: No
Notes: I can connect to friends, but playing is an absolute resounding no with this style of game. While playing, friends always saw me jump from one spot to another, and I had difficulties actually killing anything with out wasting all my ammunition as the latency causes delays in me seeing where others are. Avoid playing this online with Satellite Internet in general.

Game Name: Don't Starve Together
Platform: PC/Steam
Genre of Game: Survival RPG
Recomended for Gen5/Satnet: Yes
Notes: I don't get to touch this game much, but in the short time I have played it with friends, I have found the game works OK. Similar to Diablo III, it needs a consistent latency, however it also likes a lower latency. I can play it, but don't be surprised if you have a few moments where your characture jumps around.

Game:  DDO online

Platform:  PC - Windows 7

Genre:  Fantasy/ RPG

Works:  Yes

Recommend for Gen5: Yes, if you're flexible enough to adjust your gaming style.

My husband and I play DDO online on our PCs at the same time while our granddaughter is online, playing her own little game.  While there is a little latency, it's very playable.   The only time I notice any latency is when I have a series of long jumps onto small platforms to do or onto moving platforms.  I over jump them more often than not but with other players watching, telling me where they see me land, I can adjust my moves.   Friends tease that they've never seen me play so well now that we have a decent service. 

Prodigy Math Game

Platform:  PC  - Linux

Genre:  Fantasy game leading to real time math problems

Works:  Yes

Recommend for Gen5:  Yes

This is a game to boost math skills.  In order to move on to the next quest,  the student has to solve math problems correctly.  The game itself is role playing for students travelling through the country side as an elf child, finding hidden objects, accumulating prizes and is accompanied by a pet who helps her fight "baddies".  She's gone from a child who hated math to one who begs to spend more time playing her game and excelling in her studies.   It's got slow animation - no zerging, no rapidfire action. 

DDO online is Dungeons & Dragons Online.   Thanks for reminding me to clarify.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Regardless of the game, even if it's Candy Crush, let us know if it works for you, but also let us know where it's played at or what it's played on. Like on Facebook, or on a tablet, or other devices."

Casual games from Big Fish Games.  Downloaded to and played on Windows 10 laptops. We first download a trial version to see if the game will play nicely with the machines, before buying the full version.  No real issues, except the Big Fish game manager app downloads things quite slowly.

Games for the iPad:  Real Racing 3, jigsaw puzzle games, and Mahjong. No issues with the iPads.

Games on the Mac laptops:  The Sims. No issues.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Solitaire.  J/K!  😄

The last online game I played was Team Fortress Classic, and that was on dialup.  Quite some time before I first got Hughesnet, or DirecWay.  

Game Name: Ragnarok Online
Platform: Windows
Genre of Game: MMORPG
Works: Yes

Recomended for Gen5/Satnet:Well I'm on Gen4 but sure?
Notes: Login server times out quickly. I needed a VPN like Battleping to minimize server hops to log in. These are not free, but I think it was just a couple bucks a month to use. Gameplay could be a touch laggy but nothing game breaking.

maratsade

New games:

Playing Lifeline on iPad, iPhone, and laptop -- no issues.

Playing Lifeline 2, Silent Night, and Whiteout on iPad and iPhone -- no issues.

Dougward68

Game System: Playstation 4

Game: Battlefield 1

I figured I would try it. Amazaingly the game detected my latency issue and actually showed a popup meter in the upper right hand corner of the screen showing the latency times. It also showed a warning stating that it noticed my connection had the latency issue, but instructed me to just lead my targets a little bit to compensate for the issue. it is still very playable. i was surprised!!!!!!!!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I don't know what satellite my receiver is pointed at.  We went thru a local installer to do the upgrades to my service.  It's supposed to be the newest satellite.  Talk about feeling silly. 

I think I'll be picking that up then.I've wanted to any way since it has a campaign

Anything that requires any kind of reaction time is not gonna be an enjoyable experience.  Lowest latency I have ever seen was around .6 seconds. For any FPS that is an eternity, and you're dead before you even realize you are being attacked.  During peak hours, I regularly see latency of anywhere from 1.2 sec to 6.6 seconds, which is completely unplayable.  On days you can manage to get a good connection, it can be passible for MMO's, as long as you don't intend to group or raid.  More than 3 or 4 people in a group causes tons of lag.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Regardless of the game, even if it's Candy Crush, let us know if it works for you, but also let us know where it's played at or what it's played on. Like on Facebook, or on a tablet, or other devices.

---------------------------------Format---------------------------------
Game Name:
Platform: (Browser, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Nintendo Wii, and so on, only list what you have played it with)
Genre of Game: (FPS, RTS, and so on)
Works:
Recomended for Gen5/Satnet:
Notes:
---------------------------------/Format---------------------------------

Candy Crush Jelly Saga

From within Windows 10 (downloaded through Windows Store)

?

Works:  Yes 

Recommended for Gen5?  Sure (but only if you're REALLY bored)

None

tim81499
Spectator

Using Windows 10

World of Tanks.

Love the game but it's just too much lag. It's the only game I play. There are NO other service in my area other than iffy celular and probably never will be. I actually get better results using my cell phone as a wired hot spot. If I try to play WOT on Huges the best I can do is hope the rest of team can carry the game because I end up being just slightly better than totally useless. Then they report me as a bot. Hughes gives me 600+ ms lag, Cell gives me 175+ ms lag which is still too much.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@tim81499 wrote:

Using Windows 10

World of Tanks.

Love the game but it's just too much lag. It's the only game I play. There are NO other service in my area other than iffy celular and probably never will be. I actually get better results using my cell phone as a wired hot spot. If I try to play WOT on Huges the best I can do is hope the rest of team can carry the game because I end up being just slightly better than totally useless. Then they report me as a bot. Hughes gives me 600+ ms lag, Cell gives me 175+ ms lag which is still too much.

Sorry @tim81499, they can't do anything about ping/lag on satellite as it is 22.3 thousand miles up and 22.3 thousand miles down. Games that are real time sensitive will not play well on satellite due to the delay.

Hello Madams, for a detailed explanation of how gaming works on HughesNet Gen5 please follow these links https://www.hughesnet.com/taxonomy/term/186 or https://internet.hughesnet.com/faqs/gaming/. 

So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please create a Testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Post your test results link here in your thread. Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept Testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys. Most important points to remember during this test: -do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used) -use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan -use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan -If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file -space each test at least 5 minutes apart -post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://hninfo.us/speedtest

GabeU

@Hal

Might your reply above be on the wrong thread?  I see no one with that name, nor anyone describing the speed problem addressed in your reply.  

@GabeU Thank you for bringing that to my attention. The post was moved to Tech Support where she will get further help!

kuvo
Freshman

I play on ps4 and titanfall 2 works pretty well for me. Paladins used to work idk if it does still I haven't played it on a long time