Hughesnet Community

using cell phone extenders with hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvignoe

using cell phone extenders with hughesnet

My cell service at home sucks, verizon makes a network extender, I have heard from some it works and others it doesn't work with satelite internet, anyone know?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As Corrosive mentioned the Verizon extender is not going to work very well if at all due to the latency inherent to a satellite connection.

No matter what you do, your signal has to travel 22.300 miles up to the satellite then relayed back down to the ground at your Gateway location ... the return "data" has to again follow the same path.

The speed of light applies here and about 580 ms latency is about the best you can expect.

If a device is going to use your Hughes connection, it will be subject to this delay.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hit or miss, more often miss due to latency on satellite.
tvignoe

thats what i was afraid of...lots of money for something that may not work
tvignoe

what about netflix...seems hit or miss with it as well
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Netflix works but there is the data limit. No HD, but SD or low definition can be done without eating through excessive amounts of data. Again, still a limit depending on plan amount, can't expect satellite internet to replace cable TV or satellite TV. Low definition Netflix uses about 300 MB per hour, SD about 700 MB per hour.
tvignoe

i have directtv but have some shows i like to rewatch..ie sons of anarchy and it will do great for about 20 min or so then lose connection
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Connecting the DirecTV box to your HughesNet is not advisable, it will eat lots of data in the background and pausing/time shifting will also use more data.

The best way to do Netflix from my experience is using the browser on a computer connected to the TV using HDMI.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

One of our customers tried using an AT&T cell-over-Internet box (AKA a "FemtoCell") and it didn't work.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Amanda

Hello tvignoe,

Glad to see our Champs were able to drop in and answer your questions. Feel free to post back if we missed anything or you need more assistance.

Thank you
Amanda
_rs

Any feedback from other customers regarding the feasibility of using AT&T's MicroCell (yet another cellular extender over internet device)? Here's a link for more info: http://www.att.com/att/microcell/

Would be nice to not have to secure another account for a land-line service.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

-rs,

I don't have any experience with the product, but from what it says on the link you gave, I wouldn't count on it working.  It mentions the incompatibility with satellite service. 

carmel1691

I have the ATT Micro-Cell, and it absolutely did not work!
GabeU

carmel1691,

Did you ever run that procedure and find out what's going on with your data depletion?  Just curious. 

carmel1691

No, I gave up, I'm at a "standstill" right now, very frustrated trying to decide what to do next, It's all so very "time" consuming, and sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day. : /
GabeU

Ah.  Well, I hope you're eventually able to determine the cause and come to a solution.  I think we could all use more time in the day.  God knows I could.  LOL.  Good luck.
maryjuelke

Was told by Verizon that Hughs net would need to unlock  the ports on their modem in order for it to work.  Tried talking to Hughes net and they refused and said I would need to get one of their phones.  Its not that its not compatible, it that Hughes net refuses to unlock their modem in order for us to use the verizon booster.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Actually, the Verizon booster doesn't work because of the latency.  Hughesnet is not blocking any ports, and conforms to ALL FCC requirements.

I have been on the phone all day with Hughsnet's Home Tech Support. Hughsnet does not support VPN. Therefore cellphone network extenders do not work with their system. So either I carry two internet providers so I have the capability to connect our network extender or I find a different way to make phone calls. Not sure how we are going to go right now. But I spent a lot of money to get a service that doesn't cover our needs. 

mmhtw1974

I called Verizon and was assured that the new Network Extender 4G would work.  $279.00 later, it would not work and tech support said that it will never work.  I have the home phone from Hughes and it is just fine.  I can survive without my cell!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As Corrosive mentioned the Verizon extender is not going to work very well if at all due to the latency inherent to a satellite connection.

No matter what you do, your signal has to travel 22.300 miles up to the satellite then relayed back down to the ground at your Gateway location ... the return "data" has to again follow the same path.

The speed of light applies here and about 580 ms latency is about the best you can expect.

If a device is going to use your Hughes connection, it will be subject to this delay.