Hughesnet Community

Sudden data overages after having hughesnet for just over a year

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lspurrier46

Sudden data overages after having hughesnet for just over a year

I now remember why I left Hughesnet 5 years ago. Just fine slow service for 12 months then with no new electronics in home data is suddenly used in the first 2 days of the month. I am not doing anything differently than I was doing 6 months ago. If anything I'm doing less. And no one can track data usage. I think it is a pretty poor system that cant see usage past 15 hrs in the past. I will be leaving in Oct when my contract is up. I would rather do without than continue this sharade
3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Lspurrier46 

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to when you say, "I think it is a pretty poor system that cant see usage past 15 hrs in the past," but if you'd like help in determining either what's using the data, or where the problem lies, please start a new topic in the Tech Support section.

Marilyn83

I understand exactly what you are talking about. I told them I would be streaming they replied that I would have more than enough data since I am a household of 1 I work a lot so I don't have much down time when I get home and settle in I just want to relax. Not the case since I got the service. Since day one there have been problems that I have called several times about each time I was told that it's due to the weather or that all looks good on their end. Now it's spring and I am having the same slow to non existent internet service with the sudden I used up all my data. I've only been able to to watch 6 episodes of my show and the entire time it was buffering. 🤷 They made me purchase the equipment and stuck me in a contract 🤦I too can't wait to Max out of the contract although I almost think it better to pay the cancellation fee to be done with this foolishness. To think this all started because I needed a landline 🙅🙅🙅 I should have checked the reviews prior to purchase. I only run my one t.v. they won't let me use my VPN all types of issues with this service. It's just another Scam. I will be contacting consumer affairs if I get the same issues next month. This is ridiculous how companies like this are allowed to lie to the consumer lock them into a contract essentially robbing us of our hard earned money! Somehow this is legal🤷🙎🙅
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Marilyn83 

If you'd like help with your speed and data usage issues, please start a new topic in Tech Support.

Streaming is a very data intensive activity, especially if done in HD.  Depending on the streaming source, the amount of data used can be anywhere from about 350MB per hour in LD, 700MB per hour in SD, and 3GB per hour in HD.  With this said, if it's been no more than a few months since your sales call, you can request a sales call review to determine if the sales associate set proper expectations.  If it's determined that they didn't you may have recourse.  If you would like to request that sales call review, please start a new topic in the "myAccount and Billing" section.