Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.
We have had HughesNet for several years. Nothing has changed with our computer settings. Everything updates in the middle of the night during free time. Our wifi has a 24 character password! Our neighbors all have DSL. Our allowance is being used up overnight while no one is using it. Went to bed with 32% and have Zero this morning.
right, so this morning your data should have been at 82%. which would be the 32% from last night and the 50% from your refill this morning. so did it not refill or did it refill the disappear or did it not ever give you today's 50%?
It refilled to 50% only. I have had issues with my data over the last week. I would look at it and think it was off, but never really investigated. This time, I know it did not refill to the point that it should have.
Thank you for the update. Please remember that your data does not roll over every single day, just every other day. Say for example, on Monday you start with 50% of data and end with 20%, so Tuesday you get 50%, plus the previous day's 20%, for a total of 70%. Data not used on Tuesday does not roll over to Wednesday, you start again at 50%. Wednesday's leftover data will roll over into Thursday, but Thursday's data will not roll over into Friday. I hope that made sense, but please let us know so we can try again to clarify.
Since you started at 50% today, you're starting fresh and any leftover data today will roll over into tomorrow. Keep an eye on your usage and let us know if your leftover data (if any) rolls over.
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Your right Liz I could be on a different plan that refills differently, Sorry. Lea try writing down how much data you have before you go to bed tonight and unhook the lan cable going to the modem and in the morning hook it back up and see how much data you then and let us know, then do the same tomorrow and it will provide some information that might clear this up.
I unhooked the lan cable with 22% left over. I plugged it back in this morning and had 22%. At 7:00 a.m my data reset to 82%, which still makes no sense because 22 plus 50 equals 72%. I don't think my data issues are due to anything being done on my end.
Lea are you using Facebook? Their videos play all by themselves and use all sorts of data ... I know that won't make the math make sense but I had an issue with that .... there's a way to stop them from playing automatically now!
Thank you for updating us so far. You mentioned that you unplugged the LAN cable with 22% of your data allowance left. So overnight your modem was left isolated until you plugged back in the morning and found the same amount, 22%. This tells us that no data was used and eliminates the modem as a source of unidentified data usage.
I don't know why your data reset up to 82%, but look on the bright side, you were given more data than expected!
As Staci mentioned, Facebook does have autoplaying videos in their timeline feature, which can use more data than you expect. In addition to that, keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:
- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.
- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.