Hughesnet Community

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lea

Usage depleted overnight. All updates set during free time.

We have had HughesNet for several years. Nothing has changed with our computer settings. Everything updates in the middle of the night during free time. Our wifi has a 24 character password! Our neighbors all have DSL. Our allowance is being used up overnight while no one is using it. Went to bed with 32% and have Zero this morning.
178 REPLIES 178
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Lea ever single Byte of data usage Im seeing in the screen shots is caused by Google Chrome. I would add ad blocker pro to Chrome and turn of auto play in Facebook but I dont see a data leak just Chrome using data, a bit more than I would think but still Chrome. you might try firefox for a while and see if it uses less data but its not your hughes equipment
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Another thing with Chrome, in setting DO NOT sign in!

Ron4

Lea,

Can you click on the little arrow at the beginning of each entry or the entry itself to get a more detailed description of what is trying to get into your system every few seconds?

Was this during the time you were at work and not using the computers?

Did you type those addresses in your search engine?

Ron4

Lea,

Those addresses are related to Google. When you go to work do you shutdown your computer, put it in hibernate, or just sleep?

http://devbaron.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/

Lea

Does anyone get the point that my router meter rolled over to zero and hughesnet meter refilled to 96% yesterday morning at 7:00?  My glass wire meter started with some usage because it rolled over at midnight and data was used during free time.

At 7:00 am I had closed everything except my hughesnet meter.  I watched it drop again from the 96% to the 86% and took screen shots of all 3 meters.
The router, no usage, glasswire, 36 MB (it restarted at midnight and I did use the computer during free time), Hughesnet meter, 72MB. (at most is should have read 20 MB because I have 500 MB if the meter refills to 100%.  I had 96%)

My point 3 meters and 2 agree.  My router and Glasswire.  

Google Chrome: Advanced settings: Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed.  Box not checked.

Ron, I will see if I can find more information about my McAfee.
Ron4

"find more information about my McAfee"

There you go! You can look at more specific types, and as I recall they have a web site that can be helpful.

It has been years since I have had any of their products, so I'm sure things have changed, and my memory about them has faded, except for the real PITA of getting all the bits and scraps out of my system.

I'm not bad mouthing them. All anti virus software likes to hold on forever.

You mentioned malware protection. Is it separate software in addition to your McAfee?

Have you run a deep virus scan lately or just the automatic quick scans?

I doubt if you will ever get all 3 meters to match. When you have done everything possible from your end to convince yourself that the problem is not on your end and compare it to the others having the same problem it will be decision time.

You might visit the Yak Shack. There are a lot of threads over there about the problem. You will see a number of familiar names and can pm them for anything specific. To paraphrase Gwalk, the more you learn about your system, the more you will be in charge of it, instead of it being in charge of you.

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Lea can you take a screenshot of your running processes and of the services tab from within your task manager. it may take several screenshots for each one but it might help identify whats going on, so far all I see is Chrome eating data
Lea

Thanks. I will check these things out.  
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

If your not sure how to get to it you can right click on the start menu icon and select Task Manager 🙂
Ron Ludin

I think I have discovered your problem as well as mine and most everyone else. On Myhughesnet.com there are two windows. one that provides the user with access to news, entertainment, sports etc. and next to it is a window that has streaming video in it and comes on with regularity causing you to manually shut it down. In the process the streaming video eats into your/our data usage. I spoken with Tech Support on a number of occasions and no one seems to be able to control this.  Which leads me to believe that this could be a business plan of HughesNet to have our data usage drained. Should anyone be interested in filing a Class Action Suit, I'll be ready to join. I am fed up with this company.
Liz

Hi Ron,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Having the HughesNet homepage as your browser's default homepage is completely optional. You can follow the instructions here to change your browser's home page/start up page to whatever you like: http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Your-Home-Page

If you wish to log in directly to your HughesNet webmail, you can bookmark this link, or even set this as your startup page:  http://home.myhughesnet.com/files/hughes/redirect.php?to=webmail

To access the Support Center directly, you can go here: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

To prevent Flash videos from automatically playing on any website you visit, such as CNN.com, there are ad and flash blocking browser add-ons you can use to prevent those videos from loading and using your data, such as AdBlock.

If you have additional questions, feel free to start a new post so we can focus on addressing your concerns.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!