I signed up for Hughes Net less than one month ago. When I called, I was unsure if the speeds would be adequate for my husband to work at home. The sales rep told me that I could try out Hughes Net for 30 days for less than $20. I was told that if I decided within the first 30 days that HughesNet would not work for us that I could cancel and not be locked into a 2 year contract or have to pay the early termination fee. I was told that Hughes Net would simply send me a box to package and return the equipment and that we would be required to mail the equipment back, but that we would not be charged for anything more than the $19 something dollars that I had agreed to. Fast forward 26 or 27 days later...Today I called before 30 days to cancel our Hughes Net service. It is not fast enough for what my husband needs to be doing on the internet. When I called the Hughes Net customer service department to cancel, they said that I am already locked into a contract. I tried to explain to the customer service rep that the sales rep had told me that we could try it our for 30 days for $19 without getting locked into a contract, and he said that that is not true and that I was, in fact, already locked into a contract. He said that I will have to pay a $400 ETF to get out of the contract at this point. He said that he has no control over what the sales rep told me. I told him I would talk to my husband and decide what we want to do about our Hughes Net service. I talked with my husband and he said he still wants to cancel because I did not agree to a contract and he also doesn't want to pay the quoted $59.98 per month to continue with HughesNet. I should not be locked into a 2 year contract paying $59.98 per month for internet service that does not meet our needs. Nor should I have to pay a $400 ETF. I want the original sales call reviewed and I want Hughes Net to keep their word and not charge me for services that they agreed to not charge me for. They told me that I can cancel within 30 days with no additional fees and that I would not be locked in to a contract. On my end, if I decided to cancel, I would be responsible for sending back the equipment. That is all I am requesting. I want the original sales call to be honored.
... View more