Hughesnet Community

New Customer - 50gb/25mbps Plan - speed testing around 3-5mbps yet none of my High speed data used

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfreed1234

New Customer - 50gb/25mbps Plan - speed testing around 3-5mbps yet none of my High speed data used

Hello. New Customer here.  Had internet set up on 12/11 and started out on the 50gb/25mbps plan.

Internet has been miserably slow across every device, but we expected some slowdown compared to the high speed cable we were used to before we moved.

Tested speed through 5 different testing sites, including Hughenets own testing app.  Always tests around 2-5mbps.

I noticed on my data usage tab on my account page it says I've only used .2gb of my 50gb available.  with 49.8gb still available.  I am aware that they slowdown to 1-3mbps after the 50gb, but why would i start out at such slow speeds and not get the 25mbps for the 50gb?   What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help

1 REPLY 1
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

So, your speed is not tied to how much data you have left, except when you go into FAP (when you hit FAP, that is, when you use up your monthly allotment, speeds are reduced significantly). 

HughesNet doesn't guarantee speeds or performance. Speeds are influenced by scads of variables so they can't be guaranteed, even though the tech itself is designed to be 25 down/3 up. You may really, really want to read the subscriber agreement to learn the limitations of the service and develop a realistic set of expectations. 

To run speed tests, always use testmy.net, and run manual tests of 25 Mb down and 4 Mb up. Those speed tests are the only ones allowed on this community.