Hughesnet Community

Cancel

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Serkert

Cancel

I tried to cancel my hughesnet within 14 days of starting service - went through all 200 MB within a week and it just isn’t a fit for us. Still getting charged the $400 cancellation. Absolutely ridiculous and should be reported to Better Business Bureu 

1 REPLY 1
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The legally binding subscriber agreement, which goes into effect as soon as your service starts, states:

If you cancel after activation but before the end of your 24-month term commitment, you will be charged a Service Termination Fee of up to $400. The exact amount of the Service Termination Fee will be $400 during the first ninety (90) days after activation of the Hughesnet Service. Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service.

You have tried to cancel after activation and before the end of your 24-month commitment, therefore the $400 fee would legally apply.  I suggest you avoid further surprises by reading the subscriber agreement in its entirety: https://legal.hughesnet.com/node/771

By having an account and using the service, you are bound by this agreement and its provisions. The agreement also states what you can do if you have a grievance. You may want to read that as well. 

Not sure who you think the Bureau is or what it can do, but they are a non-governmental organisation that functions as a mediator between businesses and customers and have no legal authority whatsoever.   They would be able to do exactly zero for you in your case, given that there is a legally binding subscriber agreement that specifies the terms, and the early termination fee is one of those terms.  Additionally, they give Hughesnet the highest rating (A+).