Double-dipping payments on bill

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tinbama
Observer

Double-dipping payments on bill

I'm on autopay and Hughesnet scooped my card for two payments in February. When I called in regard to this I was informed that I could either get repayment in 7 days or a credit for next month. Considering that you provide internet services, I assume that you have computers and people that are capable of using them. Why is it your "policy" that I have to wait 7 days to receive my money back on my card? Interest-free use of MY money? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's an accounting error. But for the delayed refund, blame the banking industry, not HughesNet. 

Companies issue credits immediately. The banks themselves sit on that money for up to seven days in order to make interest on it before it's actually refunded to you. 

Only very large companies, such as Amazon, issue credits directly to their customers. Most companies, including HughesNet, go through a bank.

View solution in original post

maratsade

"you're sitting on other people's money."

Dude, I'm a subscriber. I'm not sitting on your money; neither is Hughesnet. You'll get a refund when the bank releases your money, and continuing to carp about the issue won't get you your refund any sooner. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade

There's nothing unusual or unique to this company in this process. It's simply the way accounting works. 

Bob Cratchit overworked or is it just an excuse for using other people's money interest-free for a period of time? 

maratsade

Nonsense.

By the way, both dips into my account occurred in a week. 

maratsade

Accounting error. Nothing weird or unusual about that; they will fix it. Just tell them if you want it in 7 days or as a credit for next month. Then move on. 

"Move on"? Apparently it's easy to be snarky when you're sitting on other people's money.

maratsade

"you're sitting on other people's money."

Dude, I'm a subscriber. I'm not sitting on your money; neither is Hughesnet. You'll get a refund when the bank releases your money, and continuing to carp about the issue won't get you your refund any sooner. 

Perhaps you should learn from GabeU how to do this sort of thing. Clear, concise and with an actual explanation rather than just using "accounting" with a side of condescension as an answer. 

GabeU

It's an accounting error. But for the delayed refund, blame the banking industry, not HughesNet. 

Companies issue credits immediately. The banks themselves sit on that money for up to seven days in order to make interest on it before it's actually refunded to you. 

Only very large companies, such as Amazon, issue credits directly to their customers. Most companies, including HughesNet, go through a bank.