cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Amateur Radio Operators (AKA "Hams") Here on The HughesNet Community Forums?

Advanced Tutor

Re: Any Amateur Radio Operators (AKA "Hams") Here on The HughesNet Community Forums?

I'm not familiar with using long-wire antennas or baluns for them, but I've read some good things about using long-wire antennas.

My limited understanding of long-wires is that you can use virtually any length of wire and it can be made resonant at many different frequencies. Some hams and SWL'ers like using those for working 160 meters or lower frequencies because they don't have to string up hundreds of feet of wire just to match a limited frequency range within one band.

One thing bad about them I've read is that you can't bring that wire anywhere near your radio because it will radiate along it's entire length and you could get a nasty burn. That's where the balun and a coax feeder come in.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9209

El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Freshman

Re: Any Amateur Radio Operators (AKA "Hams") Here on The HughesNet Community Forums?

Let the rest of us "Ham's" know what you purchased with your $2000.00.  This way we can salivate a little.

73's

Bernie  KD2JYU

Freshman

If you have an Apple iPhone.  There is a called "My First Antenna".  It calculates leg length and total length of the Dipole antenna.  Works for 10m SSB, 20m PSK, 20m SSB, 40m PSK, 40m SSB, 80m PSK, 80m SSB.  Another program called "HamAntCal v3.1" also calculates wire lengths.  On VHF 30 to 300 Mhz. and UHF 300 to 500Mhz.  Another program "Antenna Tool"  go antenna type drop down menu.  Punch in your antenna type and it automatically calculates length.

73's

Bernie

Advanced Tutor

Hi Bernie,

I came back with an ICOM 7300 HF Transceiver, an ICOM 2730A 2 meter/70 cm mobile, a Buckmaster OCF multi-band dipole, a Diamond 510HDX vertical, and a 30 amp power supply. Misc cables, dacron rope and tensioners, remote control software, and other install bits and pieces. 

Blew right past my budget ceiling. Glad my wife wasn't with me Smiley Very Happy 

Advanced Tutor

Thanks for that. I'll check those out!
Wanted to buy ready-made antennas first, then work on constructing my own. I may put up a broad loop around the property since I have the room and the trees to do it. But it may need to wait until my next cash infusion. I'd sort of forgotten how expensive this hobby can be. Literally, the sky's the limit Smiley Happy

Assistant Professor

@El Dorado Netwo wrote:
I came back with an ICOM 7300 HF Transceiver, an ICOM 2730A 2 meter/70 cm mobile, ... remote control software, ...

Hopefully ICOM's software is better than it used to be. One of the reasons why I made Smart Icom Control some years back for the R72. Their method of receiver addressing and command codes were not very straightforward to implement, either.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Advanced Tutor

Hello All,

Thought I'd give you an update. Finally got my station up and running in early February after chasing my tail for three weeks trying to track down a problem with my new rigs. Turns out I had bought a Powerwerx switching power supply that was bad right out of the box. It would light up my receivers but was not putting out enough amps on transmit to get anywhere, or trigger repeaters on 2 meters.

Last time I was on the radio in the 60s, there was so much less noise and so many more stations that I could pick up with just a simple dipole strung along the edge of my parents' roof. I thought at first there was something else wrong with my new setup until someone pointed out that the sunspot cycle was at a 400-year high during the late 50s/early 60s, and there wer far fewer devices back then causing noise: computers, wall warts, dimmers, grow lights, wireless routers, smart phones, smart everything.

I've been busy stomping out local noise problems, apparently some due to my OCF inverted V antenna. I put up a 520' loop antenna (cut for  a full wavelength on 160 meters) connected to an ICOM AH-4 remote tuner with a piece of ladder line so I can take it multi-band. Wow! Noise dropped about 3 - 5 S units across the HF bands and suddenly I'm hearing stations I could not hear before on the OCF.

I'm mainly active on 80, 40, and 160 Meters in the mornings and evenings, and learning how to work local 2 meter repeaters. Soon to go mobile.

I had contacted our local newspaper, the Mountain Democrat, to see if I could get a better photo for that story they ran in 1962. They became interested, and ran another story two weeks ago: https://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/alan-thompson-is-still-a-ham/.

You can read my profile here, with links to both articles: http://www.aj6ar.com/

Assistant Professor

Beware those efficient spirally-shaped non-LED bulbs. They really make a mess of 40 meters.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Hey, not a ham operator but I do have a problem with someone skilled in radio... I use my hughes.net like most people pretty much have the laptop and blueray player going constantly streaming a movies etc. New guy moves in and is paranoid about someone spying on him. From the questions posed by this man he thinks when he picks up our wifi (hughes.net) that it's cameras looking at him. Long story short we don't have any cameras connected to our wifi. All we can figure he thinks someones trying to trap him poaching. But I stay busy in my own little world and don't worry about anything else until my wifi starts getting interrupted continuously. It's works great for a few minutes then my dog gets in the window and barks in the direction of this new neighbors house and my wifi gets jammed etc. He had mentioned that he uses an illegally overpowered amplifier and linear and bilinear ? I have no idea what that stuff means and I guess I will need to learn but my question to you or anyone who might want to help is : Is there a particular filter I can have put on my dish to prevent his interruptions? I mean he asked us once if we had wireless cameras linked back to our house and I told him truthfully NO. So I need to adjust my own enterainment system to keep him out. I am not going to try and prove myself to a rogue radio madman. This is my first experience with this sort of thing. Any help would we be greatly appreciated. I called hughes.net tech support and they said they have no filters and no nothing about it.

Distinguished Professor III

@lm8542

I know very little about HAM radio, but if he's using amplifiers like you mention it wouldn't surprise me if it's screwing up your WiFi.  Those things jack the power up quite a bit, throwing out a lot stronger signal.  I don't know this from HAM radios but I am somewhat familiar with linear amplifiers used with CB radios.  

I'm not familiar with any filter that can be used with the HughesNet system.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit