Any idea what this bug is?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Any idea what this bug is?

I found it in my kitchen sink this evening.  It didn't bite me when I scooted it into my hand to put it outside.  It was about an inch long.  It liked to crawl a bit once I picked it up, but it wasn't super fast.  

I went through a huge list of bugs in Western NY state and I couldn't find it. 

Edit:  I now realize that I should have taken it out of the sink and put it on a white surface before photographing it.  I'm sure the red of the sink is skewing the color a bit.  

100_0027.jpg

100_0030.jpg

100_0031.jpg

100_0032.jpg

21 REPLIES 21
Brooke
Alum

Oh goodness... *shudders*

Funny enough, I was driving to work today and felt something weird on my leg, and I grabbed it, thinking it was something stuck to my sock. Nope! It was a bug. Found it again later crawling up my stomach and felt a little bit of relief as I realized it wasn't a bee, but I still have no idea what it was. Was black with what seemed like a blue butt (or whatever the proper term for that end part of their body would be :P). I pulled over and stepped out of my car, never did see where it went after that 😞 

GabeU

I most certainly would have felt relief in discovering it wasn't a bee, too.  Years ago I had a bumble bee fly in the window and land on the front of my shirt when I was driving down the road, and let's just say that I'm glad no one was behind me, as I slammed on the brakes.  It was almost a reflex.  And, thankfully, I was able to get out and get it off of me before it stung, though it was probably stunned from the whole ordeal, so it's possible that stinging me was the last thing on its tiny mind.  😛 

Yikes! I was stung by a bee before I can even remember. My mother said the bee flew to the back where I was seated, landed near my eyebrow and stung me. Probably why I am deathly afraid of them now 😞 

But that's how my day was sort of today, thankfully no one saw me and I'm also thankful I didn't hit a curb or anything when I went to pull over while trying to keep an eye out for the bug. Realizing now how dangerous driving with bugs can be! 

maratsade

What the fork is that thing? It looks like an elongated, flightless bee.  

I was stung by bees often as a child, as my grandfather raised bees. Those stings hurt like the dickens. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Mole cricket.

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

As @maratsade suggested, I think it's some sort of wingless wasp mimic, similar to the wasp mimic beetle or a type of cockroach that mimics a wasp/hornet. But I am no insect expert; that's just a (somewhat) educated guess!
maratsade

Yeah, to me it looks like a sort of flightless bee/wasp thing, not at all like a cricket (I looked up the mole cricket, but that looks very much like a cricket).  But then I have little to no experience with bugs, so I'm deferring to the people who know more about them.  

MarkJFine
Professor

I know what it is: It's something that wouldn't last long around me.
#IHateBugs

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I love bugs (not to pet them or anything, -- I just find them fascinating), but some of the bugs here in "the colonies" (j/k) are nightmarish.

GabeU

I was wondering if it was maybe some type of queen.  Whatever it is, it's nothing like anything I've ever seen, and it wasn't aggressive or anything like that.  

I think I'll find a popular insect board and post it on there, as I'm really curious as to what in the heck this thing is.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

I was wondering if it was maybe some type of queen.  Whatever it is, it's nothing like anything I've ever seen, and it wasn't aggressive or anything like that.  

I think I'll find a popular insect board and post it on there, as I'm really curious as to what in the heck this thing is.  

Like I said, pretty sure it's a mole cricket. They're harmless, except for your yard.

EDIT: Also great fishing bait. Smiley Happy

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Like I said, pretty sure it's a mole cricket. They're harmless, except for your yard.

I'm not sure.  I've looked at pictures of mole crickets, and I know that from the picture it's a bit hard to tell, but this thing didn't look like any of the pictures of mole crickets that I saw.  Especially the head.  

Like I said, I wish I would have thought to take it out and put it on a white surface so I could have gotten some better pictures of it, including from other angles.  😞  

GabeU

I submitted it for identification at the following...

https://bugguide.net/node/view/6/bgimage

GabeU

Okay, folks.   Got an answer.   It's a Rove Beetle.  There are a slew of different kinds, but looking at many of the pictures I can tell that this thing is definitely one of them.  🙂  

Must be the sixth Beetle

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sure glad I'm not a betting man, would've lost. Sure looked like a mole cricket in the pic. At least we know what the little ugly bugger is now.

HA! I thought it must be something from the beetle family.
maratsade

Like Yoko Ono?;)

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:
HA! I thought it must be something from the beetle family.

@maratsade hahahaha!

"It came in a vision - a man appeared on a flaming pie and said unto them, 'From this day forward you are Beatles with an A.' Thank you Mister Man, they said, thanking him."
--John Lennon